Installation Instructions for ISPConfig 2

Discussion in 'General' started by qiubosu, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

In "Installation Instructions for ISPConfig 2", there is below statement:

Important: ISPConfig is meant to be installed on new Linux installations with no web sites, so if you run a server with hundreds of web sites and need a control panel that can take care of those existing web sites, then ISPConfig is not for you!

Can you recommend the best control panels that can run in a sever with hundreds of web sites, for MS windows and Open source, e.g. Linux technology?

Thanks.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I don't think you have many options in this case. Most - if not all - control panels will ignore your existing web sites and maybe break your setup.

3. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hi falko, how about the ispconfig2 control panel? can it host many websites in its own server?

4. falko

Yes (well, it depends on your system resources like CPU, RAM, etc.), but it can't manage existing web sites.

5. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hi falko, how to calculate the CPU and RAM for multiple websites? e.g. if host 10 websites under ispconfig server, what is the CPU and RAM required?

by the way, why "but it can't manage existing web sites."?

6. falko

You cannot calculate it as it depends on many factors (like is it a static or dynamic web site, how many visitors do you have, etc.).

Because these web sites are not in ISPConfig's database, and therefore ISPConfig doesn't know anything about them.

7. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hi falko, can we reconfigure the ISPConfig and registrar etc. to make the existing websites in ISPConfig database?

8. falko

No, that's not possible.

9. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

why? can you explain with an example? i don't understand.

10. falko

It's simply not possible. Period.

11. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hello falko,

i have a working ISPConfig 2 setup for a while to host my own websites in home office. now i'm developing a site with drupal in local PC. there is a site (point to a static IP) already hosted by this ISPConfig 2 server at moment. for the drupal site i'm developing now, how can i use the ISPConfig 2 to host it? do i need to apply a separate static IP for the new site? thanks.

12. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, you can run as many websites on one IP as you like as the virtual hosts are all namebased. You just have to access the websites by entering the domain name in the webbrowser.

13. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

is it ok if the ISPConfig 2 server using/sharing the same static IP?

14. till

What do you mean whith sharing the IP? A IP in a network can only be assigned to one physical device / server at a time.

15. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

sorry for the confuse. i only have one static ip at the moment and it points to my home network modem. i will use this ip for ispconfig 2 server, several websites and all of them are in the same PC. so i mean sharing the same ip.

16. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hello falko, if i use sun virtualbox for virtulisation, how can i copy/transfer the whole VM from one PC to another PC with the whole environment intact? i found it unable to do this for sun virtualbox, am i correct? the microsoft virtual PC is ok.

17. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

it doesn't look like the ISPConfig 2 can host the latest version of Drupal site? how to solve the problem? thanks.

18. till

There is no problem, you can host any php based cms systm in ispconfig and you can have hundreds of websites on a sinle IP address as the websites are namebased. Maybe you should just post the error message that you got when you installed drupal so we can tell you what setting is wrong.

19. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hello till, if i use sun virtualbox for virtulisation, how can i copy/transfer the whole VM from one PC to another PC with the whole environment intact? i found it unable to do this for sun virtualbox, am i correct? the microsoft virtual PC is ok.

20. till

You can do this with virtualbox as well, a VM is a folder which contains several files. Just copy the folder which contains the vm to the new pc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.