installed ISPconfig but can't access web panel

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by dangeorge6, Jan 23, 2007.

1. dangeorge6

dangeorge6 New Member

Hi,

I went through the ISPconfig install process and set up my web panel to be https://leavitt.com:81. However, firefox can't find anything at this address. I've stopped and restarted ISPconfig. My netstat -tap outputs the following:

(Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
    will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
    tcp 0 0 localhost:2208 *:* LISTEN -
    tcp 0 0 localhost:mysql *:* LISTEN -
    tcp 0 0 *:netbios-ssn *:* LISTEN -
    tcp 0 0 *:81 *:* LISTEN -
    tcp 0 0 virtual-ip1.exam:domain *:* LISTEN -
    tcp 0 0 host1.leavitt.co:domain *:* LISTEN -
    tcp 0 0 localhost:domain *:* LISTEN -
    tcp 0 0 localhost:2647 *:* LISTEN -
    tcp 0 0 localhost:ipp *:* LISTEN -
    tcp 0 0 localhost:953 *:* LISTEN -
    tcp 0 0 *:smtp *:* LISTEN -
    tcp 0 0 *:microsoft-ds *:* LISTEN -
    tcp 0 0 localhost:953 localhost:3290 TIME_WAIT -
    tcp6 0 0 *:www *:* LISTEN -
    tcp6 0 0 *:ftp *:* LISTEN -
    tcp6 0 0 *:ssh *:* LISTEN -
    tcp6 0 0 ip6-localhost:953 *:* LISTEN -

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. batsta

batsta New Member

stupid question probably but i'll ask anyway. can you access it from itself using lynx or anything? i'm basically asking could there be a firewall blocking access?

3. dangeorge6

dangeorge6 New Member

I'm a noob...how would i access it through lynx?

4. batsta

batsta New Member

assuming you're in a telnet or ssh session and you have lynx installed type in

lynx https://localhost:81

if it times out there is a config/install issue otherwise i'd lean toward some sort of firewall issue or even routing issue

hope that helps

5. dangeorge6

dangeorge6 New Member

it worked with lynx, then i tried it in firefox and it worked as well. So the localhost works but not the domain name i set during installation. Is this a problem? Am i supposed to be able to access ISPconfig on remote computers?

Danny

6. dangeorge6

dangeorge6 New Member

also, when i access with the localhost address, i get all sorts of invalid SSL certificate warnings.

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

8. dangeorge6

dangeorge6 New Member

9. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Do you run the server at home? If so, make sure that your ISP doesn't block port 81. Also make sure that port 81 is forwarded from your router to the ISPConfig system.

10. dangeorge6

dangeorge6 New Member

I do run the server at home behind a router with Comcast as my ISP.

Some new developments: https://192.168.0.10:81, which is my server's IP address actually works and brings up IPconfig. This leads me to believe that port 81 is working inside my LAN, just not the URL ISPconfig is supposed to assign. How might I get that working?

Question 2:

From what I can tell Comcast is a DHCP and changes my router's IP frequently. Does this mean my server won't be able to provide access to the outside world (I'd have to change all sorts of configurations everytime the IP changes?)?

Thanks for the help

11. martinfst

martinfst ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

About changing IP's: you're probably looking for a solution offered by dynDNS, but others offer similar services.

You will need to forward port 81 on your router to the server running ISPConfig. Combining the two might solve your problem. Many modern routers have buil-in support for DynDNS solutions. Meaning the router will update the DNS services offered by DynDNS dynamically, so you don't have to bother about changing IP's yourself.

12. dangeorge6

dangeorge6 New Member

thanks,

So using DynDNS I would point my websites' URLs at the DynDNS URL and that would forward to whatever my IP address was at the time?

Also, what are the steps I need to take to get a URL to work for one of my ISPconfig sites? I'm assuming I need to go through a domain registrar. Any good tutorials? Sorry for the noobness.

13. martinfst

Yes forwarding will work for one website. You cannot host multiple sites behind a NAT router, because all sites would point to port 80.

Well cannot..... You can, but that's rather complicated. You would need to forward to specific ports on your router and handle that accordingly on your local server. I believe DynDNS only allows one free pointer ..... I'm not sure if this a route you want to go :confused:

14. dangeorge6

dangeorge6 New Member

thanks. So basically the path from a remote computer to my one website would be something like this after a user types in the url?

Domain registrar -> DynDNS -> my public IP -> router -> my private IP

Another question. I was screwing around adding sites on ISPconfig and now when i browse "http://private IP of my server" it directs me to a folder called SharedIP which displays a default shared IP page. So ISPconfig must have changed something in Apache to make this SharedIP folder default. If i am to host just one site, I'll need to tell Apache to default to the folder of my website. What do I do to make this so and can i do it through ISPconfig? Do I even need ISPconfig if i host just one site?

15. till

You must always use the domain of a website to access it, you ´can not access ISPConfig websites by IP.

16. martinfst

Well, with just one web site (or even a few) for "personal" use, ISPConfig is a bit of overkill, though it will make your live easier, as you don't have to configure the individual components (web, mail, dns). As your dns needs to be configured outside ISPConfig, your only "left" with few advantages.

If you want to host more sites on your local system behind the ADSL router, you will need to edit the Apache configuration manually anyway, because the only way to do that is to use different ports. And ISPConfig only uses port 80. So maybe you want to re-think :confused:

17. dangeorge6

dangeorge6 New Member

well i was doing this more for learning's sake, so I'm not heartbroken that I can't run a hosting business. However, I'd like to try to get one site live, and also use it as a development server.

I'm pretty puzzled about trying to attach a URL to my sites. So I have to registar a domain with a different company and then point it at dynDNS? Any help would be appreciated.

18. till

You can either get a free domain from dyndns.org in the form of:

yourname.dyndns.org

or you can register a .com domain directly at dyndns.org that points to your dynamic IP address.

Then you will have to create a website in ISPConfig with the domain that you choose at dyndns.org.

19. dangeorge6

dangeorge6 New Member

registered with dynDNS and it already works! However, I can't get my URL to point to the folder of my main site. http://leavitt.homeip.net/ <--this is the site, I don't know if it's propogated already. Anyway, it points to my var/www folder instead of the leavitt.homeip.net folder. What do i need to do?

20. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What's in Vhosts_ispconfig.conf, and what's the output of
    Code:
    ifconfig
    ?