Installing a Guest OS Template

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by rich67, Aug 1, 2018.

1. rich67

rich67 New Member

Sorry in advance if I missed the answer but I've spent several days with google and can't find how to install another OS template to the ISP server

Everything I found so far refers to the vz/templates/cache directory and I just dont seem to have that on my system, I've used find, as well as just searching manually with filezilla

I have ISPConfig 3 installed on ubuntu 16.04 and I used the install script to install it

Years ago I found where I could just upload the .iso for an Operating System and it showed up in ISPConfig but this time its driving me nuts trying to find the directory to upload it too

Thanks in advance for the help

2. rich67

rich67 New Member

might have found out how

little white thing next to the delete button on the virtual servers list? install template, and it takes the server a few minutes to create it... is that the actual operating system on new virtual servers created after that?

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You refer to the OpenVZ functions in ISPConfig? These do not load OS templates automatically if I remember correctly. Actually, you download the VM image on the shell to vz/templates/cache and then create it in ISPConfig.

But the OpenVZ Kernel is not under active development anymore, so I won't use it on new servers, e.g. you can't run any images that use systemd on OpenVZ.

4. rich67

rich67 New Member

yes I am referring to the openvz part of ispconfig 3 where when clicking on VServer

as it was the only choice was "Debian Minimal" but after clicking on the white icon with a rocket on it next to the delete icon when viewing virtual server list it brought up a window with selections to start, stop, restart the server, or Create OS Template.

I chose create template, put ubuntu-14.04-x86_64 in the selection box and clicked "Execute Selected Action". Waited a few minutes and then I had both the "Debian Minimal" and "ubuntu-14.04-x86_64.tar" listed as templates when I click on OS Templates in the left side column

I have not been able to log in on created VServer, I can't seem to find how to use it to host a website, so that I can tell any info about the VServer i created

5. rich67

rich67 New Member

I am trying to use ISPConfig 3 to be able to host sites that are powered with software that requires php5 and mysql 5.6, both of which were default on ubuntu 14.04, but support for 14.04 is nearing the end of life I decided to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04, but my older software (SkaDate) does not run under mysql 5.7

"But the OpenVZ Kernel is not under active development anymore, so I won't use it on new servers, e.g. you can't run any images that use systemd on OpenVZ."
    What is the correct way to do it on new servers?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is none trough ISPConfig at the moment. We will have to write a completely new virtualisation module from scratch as the underlaying technology of the current module (OpenVZ) is actually 'dead'.

7. rich67

rich67 New Member

Thanks till, guess I'll go try and find another virtualization platform

8. mousebat

mousebat New Member

till likes this.