installing a slave HD on my debian perfect server

Discussion in 'Technical' started by cruz, Feb 5, 2008.

1. cruz

cruz New Member

I have a debian perfect server setup and running. I want to add a slave HD to it and use ghost for linux for a redundant backup. Can someone please explain what I do affter installing the HD and reboot the server? What I guess I need is directions on how to prep the drive before I run ghost. Thank you for the help.

2. topdog

topdog Active Member

I dont know about ghost but if you have identical disks you can use dd to mirror the disks
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/disk1 of=/dev/disk2

3. cruz

cruz New Member

backup server

They are not the same size. I guess I will setup another server and use this setup. I just wish there was an easy way to backup and restore the whole hard drive. So I don't have to reinstall everything. Like a image and then incramental backups. I guess it is the database that has to be stoped, so it dose not get curuped. I guss this program will work for what I am talking about.
    HTML:
    Back Up/Restore Hard Drives And Partitions With Ghost4Linux
    http://www.howtoforge.com/back_up_restore_harddrives_partitions_with_ghost4linux

4. topdog

topdog Active Member

Well after doing a dd you can then use rsync to keep the two the same.

5. cruz

cruz New Member

hard drive install

I slaved the drive and ran the commad
    HTML:
    dd if=/dev/disk1 of=/dev/disk2
    it is telling me /dev/disk1 : no such directory. Do I need to format the drive?
    I tried to type dd at the command promp and now I can not get out of it. I can type on the screen , but it will not take commands. Help

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  6. topdog

topdog Active Member

disk1 is supposed to be the device on your machine i just used that as an example.

to see the disks you can run fdisk -l or dh -h

7. cruz

cruz New Member

prep drive

I see that drive one is 61.4GB with patitions hda1 hda2 hda5 and the slave is 30..0 GB and is hdb. How do I prepair the drive to be used? I think it is formated for windows. (NTFS)
    I figued out how to setup the drive. I setup all 30 GB on one patition. Can I copy the first drive to the 2nd drive if the drives are diffrent sizes? Also what about databases? will they transfer ok?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  8. topdog

topdog Active Member

dd is a low level copy you dont have to do anything. The only requirement is that the drives are the same size, because it will copy even the partition layout.

9. cruz

cruz New Member

I guess I will setup another server and try and see what are the best and easy to use programs to backup files and databases for my websites. I guess I need something to create an image and then incremental backups. Thanks for the information Topdog. I learned some things from this post. If you have any suggestions as to what I might setup, please reply, but if not, thanks for your help.

10. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

11. cruz

cruz New Member

I thank you

I want to say thank you for your direction in this matter. You always give good advice falko.