Installing Amavis, ClamAV, SpamAssassin after ISPConfig installed

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mahomed, Jul 16, 2014.

1. mahomed

mahomed New Member

Hi

I followed the instructions in "The Perfect Server – Ubuntu 14.04 (Apache2, BIND, Dovecot, ISPConfig 3)" tutorial and managed to get ISPConfig setup. At the time though, I skipped over the Amavis/ClamAV/SpamAssassin section because I was going to simply forward my mail to Gmail and let them handle it. Unfortunately this is backfiring a bit on me because forwarding SPAM messages results in my IP reputation being messed up.

So that brings me to my question, is it possible to now install and configure these three modules without having to re-install from scratch and lose all the config I've done (I have a lot of forwarders)? I also don't have a backup MX so re-installing could result in lost/bounced mail.

Another reason I'm not a fan of using SpamAssassin is because it doesn't give me a nice interface for seeing what mail has been quarantined/rejected (well not that I know of anyway) and that's a concern for me.

[edit]
    Sorry forgot to mention I'm running ISPConfig version is 3.0.5.4p1 on Ubuntu 14.04. I have the htf_report if anyone wants me to post it
    [/edit]

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

install the mising packages, then download ispconfig again, unpack it, run the update.php file in the install folder and choose to reconfigure services during update.

The quarantine is a imap folder "Spam" inside your mailbox, so yu can access it with your normal email client.

3. mahomed

mahomed New Member

Hi Till

Thanks for your response. The instructions seem straight forward. I assume I'll have to backup my main.cf and master.cf and do a compare after for any of my manual changes (like SMTPD Banner comes to mind).

I only have one local mailbox. All the rest are forwarders to Gmail (I just prefer their interface and the fact that they'll store my mail for me). I don't mind if all the SPAM/quarantined mail for all the forwarders go into that one mailbox or I can setup a specific mailbox for it. Is this possible or is it outside the scope of ISPConfig and I should be asking on an Amavis/Postfix forum?

Thanks again.

4. mahomed

mahomed New Member

Thanks for the help. I've managed to install Amavis and I used the settings in the policies in ISPConfig to deliver the spam messages to another local mailbox and I've installed RainLoop to read to be able to easily check the mailbox.

Now just to play about with that tweaking :)