Installing Debian Sarge from an USB flash.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by bullshit, Apr 1, 2006.

1. bullshit

bullshit New Member

Hi guys:

I've been struggling trying to build a bootable usb with the latest stable kernel (2.6.16). The machine I need to boot is a fanless pc (Zevo) with a touchscreen monitor. If i follow these instructions, the bootloader runs smothly till the point where the debian-installer comes up, afterwards I can't access the installer on-screen configuration because I can't decipher what is on the screen, the screen blinks continuosly. I figured out I needed a custom kernel to be able to use the installer, but so far not luck.
    After succefully compiling the kernel (in another machine) and trying to boot in the fanless pc, it just throws the unfamous: Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00, even though I have compiled the necesary modules into the kernel( I guess!).

My question is:
    How can I boot from an usb key and do a netrok install of Debian into a partionless hardisk, I have no CD, no floppy available, only a couple of USB ports.

This is a major challenege for myself.Can somebody help me oro point me to a an how to?

Cheers and Thanks.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I know this error message. It means that you need a ramdisk because the file system of your USB stick is compiled into the kernel as a module, not statically.
    If you compile the file system driver into the kernel statically, then you don't need a ramdisk.

3. bullshit

bullshit New Member

Hi.
    You meant a FAT filesystem. I rechekd the kernel configuration and I could'nt find a spot where to statically compile support for the FAT filesystem, all the options available where as modules. I will do a recheck again

Thanks for you help.

4. bullshit

bullshit New Member

Hi:
    I was wrong, I've done otherwise, instead of * I had m, Danm me! I'll give it a go again. Thanks a lot, great forum!!!

Cheers