Installing Matrix Synapse - Would this cause any problems with ISPC?

Discussion in 'General' started by schwim, Jul 19, 2024.

1. schwim

schwim Member HowtoForge Supporter

Last edited: Jul 19, 2024
  2. schwim

Any insight would be most welcome. If needed, I'll rent another small appliance to run it but I would like to save the money and run it alongside my ISPC install.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The tutorial sets up its own Nginx config, so it can potentially conflict with ISPConfig. It might work if you run a Nginx server anyway, but it won't work on an Apache server. You should consider installing it using Docker and then just add a website in ISPConfig and use that ISPconfig website as a proxy.

4. schwim

Thank you very much for your help!

Is there anything about installing Docker on my Debian 11 machine that I need to consider regarding ISPC or can I just follow a general tutorial installing docker on the server?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is nothing specific about ISPConfig when installing Docker.

6. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You can't run the matrix docker setup with synpase and everything on a ISPConfig host. It will cause issues as the ansible playbook for matrix configures it's own reverse proxy stuff. You need to make sure you don't deploy the reverse proxy and configure the playbook to use manual reverse proxy - but it is a huge pain in the ass. I strongly recommend to deploy this on it's own VM as recommende by the project itself.