Installing NVIDIA Drivers On Debian Lenny Manually

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by anoovis, Oct 1, 2009.

1. anoovis

anoovis New Member

Attached Files:

2. bad_crow

bad_crow New Member

It wrote what you had to do in your log file ;) I think that the further problems come from the first error.
    If you have kernel sources installed properly, I think you just have de run that command. Otherwise, you'll have to install / reinstall kernel sources for the script to find missing files. Third possibility, compile a new kernel from sources to start over from clean sources.
    Maybe there are some precompiled kernel and sources to do so easily. There are some useful comments below the tutorial also.

Please let me know if you solved your problem.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  3. anoovis

anoovis New Member

Loading Please wait.............

My friend suggested a kernel upgrade as he encountered the same problem. So I downloaded the 2.6.31.1 source and compiled it. It finished successfully with no errors. But at time of booting, just after I select debian from grub, it says" Loading Please wait.." and nothing happens. What could be the reason ?

4. bad_crow

bad_crow New Member

Is there a kernel panic line ?
    If you wait long enough (something like 15minutes) does it drop to busy box ?
    Have you updated grub configuration after installing the new kernel ?

5. anoovis

anoovis New Member

kernel panic - out of range

it was bcoz sata and ext3 fs support were added as module. changed as built into kernel and re-compiled. it was ok, but not booting. the screen says "out of range" just when boot begins and nothing happens. system is hang nd i need to reset

6. bad_crow

bad_crow New Member

Did you try single user mod ?
    I think this is because resolution imposed by the nvidia driver is too high for your screen. Booting in single user mod will let you modify your xorg.conf to fit your screen highest resolution.

7. anoovis

anoovis New Member

out of range

but this happens when boot process starts. ie; just after i select 'Debian' from the grub menu. i didnt enable splash screen. then what image is displaying while booting ?

8. bad_crow

bad_crow New Member

Yes, the rescue or single user mod can be selected from the grub menu, if you only have linux on the computer this is usually the second line.

9. anoovis

anoovis New Member

out of range

this is a custom compiled kernel. i tried single user. but same problem occurs :(

10. anoovis

anoovis New Member

nvidia driver

atlast i compiled the kernel, downloaded nvidia driver and ran the Nvidia*.run script. It couldnt compile the driver because it couldnt find the auto.conf file in /usr/src/linux/include/. So I typed make prepare. then it says 'no rule to make target ***/boot/Makefile"
    why this happens