Installing PHP5 (RH C1)

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by poteus, Jan 27, 2006.

1. poteus

poteus New Member

I am trying to update the PHP4 to PHP5. I followed the step by step HOWTO http://howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_fedora_core_4_p4
    as a root, I get this :

# apt-get install php php-devel php-gd php-imap php-ldap php-mysql php-odbc php-pear php-xml php-xmlrpc curl curl-devel perl-libwww-perl ImageMagick libxml2 libxml2-devel
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    php is already the newest version.
    php-devel is already the newest version.
    E: Couldn't find package php-gd

But I still have the PHP Version 4.3.8 :confused:

What should I do ? I have Core 1 btw ...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What's in /etc/apt/sources.list?

Did you restart Apache? What's in /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf?

3. SwellJoe

SwellJoe New Member

Fedora Core 4 already has PHP5, Core 2 does not

The instructions you're following are for Fedora Core 4, which includes php5. Fedora Core 2 includes php4. Nothing wrong with the instructions...you're just using them on the wrong OS version.

Note that Fedora Core 2 has been end-of-lifed by Fedora. It's not a version that I would recommend deploying on new servers. That said, if you insist, it is possible to build php 5 from source on Fedora Core 2 without a whole lot of trouble (I also don't recommend having vital services installed from source--packages provided by the vendor are much easier to keep up to date--but if you need php 5 features, I guess building from source is the easiest way to get there). I'm in the midst of building php5 packages for FC3 and RHEL 3/4, and it's proving quite difficult...normally I'd recommend rebuilding the SRPM to someone in your shoes, but it's definitely not an amateur-friendly task. Building it from source is almost certainly easier.