Installing software in clients website

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Slimat, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Slimat

Slimat Member

Hi

I am trying to work out the correct way to install software in a client website only and thought I'd ask before breaking my current setup!

The software is the Ubiquiti Unifi Controller and I am trying to install it in a subdomain on one of my sites. I have setup a subdomain under domains... so it has its own web directory for installation. I am not sure how to install it so it is not installed in the servers root directories instead of the websites directories.

I believe the correct way to do this would be to allow the 'client' to SSH into their document root and then run the installation
    Code:
    sudo apt install unifi
    command from here so it installs in /var/www/clients/client6/web23 rather than the server root. Obviously the logged in user needs to be restricted to /var/www/clients/client6/web23 so it doesn't install anywhere else. I did search in this forum and could only find information from 2008, which doesnt quite match the current ISPConfig layout;

https://forum.howtoforge.com/threads/ssh-access-for-clients.16187/

I also looked in the 3.1 manual, but still wasn't 100% sure how to do it, or if you can actually do it. I suspect I may be over thinking this, but can anyone point me to any tutorial or information on this?

Many thanks.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can not use apt to install software on websites at all. Create an FTP or SSH user for this website and then upload the software into the web folder of the website. I don't know the software you try to install, so you must ensure first if it can be installed in a website at all, e.g. ensure that it is written in PHP programming language or perl.

Slimat likes this.
  3. Slimat

Slimat Member

Thanks @till - yes it can run in a website as I am already hosting on a dedicated Ubuntu server, so will just FTP/SSH the original installation into /var/www/clients/client6/web23 and hopefully that should work. :)

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The website root is /var/www/clients/client6/web23/web and not /var/www/clients/client6/web23

5. Slimat

Slimat Member

Sorry, that was a typo on my part, I did mean .../web23/web

Thanks

6. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter