Installing software

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Leadwings, May 9, 2008.

1. Leadwings

Leadwings New Member

I know this is a very elementary question, but could someone help me with installing software in the terminal? I've done about eleventy billion google searches and seen countless tutorials, about it, but for some reason it either won't configure or make, so i'm stumped. I've checked my commands again and again to make sure they're spelled correctly and everything. Also, since it's along the same lines, does anyone know if I can choose another source for choosing a package to install in Synaptic other than from a CD? For instance, if I downloaded a file and have it on a USB stick, can I direct Synaptic to look there and install the file?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What exactly are you trying to do?

You can install .deb packages like this:
    Code:
    dpkg -i [I]package.deb[/I]

3. Leadwings

Leadwings New Member

I'm just trying to install some basic .tar files. I downloaded them and copied them to the desktop. After this I opened a terminal and unpacked them. I changed directories and entered the file, and in only one case was I able to actually configure the file using ./configure, after that I wasn't able to use make. I've followed some online directions and tutorials to a "T", but I have had no success. It tells me that there is no target for the make command. I tried make all, but that didn't do anything either. In one case, the file wouldn't configure because it said there was no such file or something, but when I listed the contents of the file I could see the configure file. I'm at a loss.

4. falko

What software exactly are you trying to install? Normally there should be a README or INSTALL inside the tar that has installation instructions.

5. Leadwings

Leadwings New Member

Beagle. I know I could use Synaptic if I were connected to the internet on that particular computer, but unfortunately, I'm not currently connected on that particular box. Can choose another source for choosing a package to install in Synaptic other than from a CD? For instance, if I downloaded a file and have it on a USB stick, can I direct Synaptic to look there and install the file?

6. falko

You can download the .deb packages and install the manually as follows:
    Code:
    dpkg -i [I]package[/I]