Installing Xen On An Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) Server : Host network nonfunctional

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by breshead, May 7, 2008.

1. breshead

breshead New Member

I followed the first page of the "Installing Xen On An Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) Server From The Ubuntu Repositories" HOWTO but after rebooting my host system does not have a network connection. (I have not created a guest system yet)

I followed all the steps, even installed the new kernel package (from tokyo) twice.

I now have peth0, eth0 and lo.

eth0 was dhcp initially and I thought that might be the issue but after setting it up static there is change. Have rebooted several times to no avail. Removed dhcp3-client, no joy.

I checked the /etc/udev/rules... to make sure the correct NIC was being selected.
    I checked lsmod to make sure the 'igb' (Supermicro serverboard) NIC module was loaded. Even unloaded and reloaded it. No joy with anything.

Rebooted and selected initial "-server" non-xen kernel and I have networking.
    (as per static device config)

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. breshead

breshead New Member

Looks like the problem is in the nic driver itself. /lib/modules/..../ubuntu/net/igb.ko
    After trying a bunch of stuff, I installed a 8138too adapter and it works great.
    Guess I will have to wait to use the onboard nics.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Did the onboard NIC work with the default Ubuntu kernel? If so, the Xen kernel doesn't seem to support the same hardware as the default kernel...

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  4. breshead

breshead New Member

Yes it did work in the "regular" server builtin kernel nic drivers. Just not with the Xen kernel.