Installing Xen On An Ubuntu Feisty Fawn Server From The Ubuntu Repositories: On 7.10

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Kai, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Kai

Kai New Member

Hi all,

I am trying to make myself a home server sonsisting of multiple Xen VMs for different purposes.
    But before I get to the point I can have some fun configureing the VMs I need to create them first, and thats where I am stuck.

I installed Ubuntu 7.10 Desktop on my server (since I didnt get the GUI working on the server edition) and is now fiddling with the xen-tools.

And I thought this howto wouldnt be far off my set up, but its not working :confused:

I followd the instruction (with some modifications) and the xen-create-image command halts on "Installation method: debootstrap", I can hear some disk activity for some seconds and I see some blinking on the NIC but after maby a minute the keyboard stops working and the mouse poniter gets really sluggish and nothing else works so I have to hard reboot the system.

Here is my create command:
    xen-create-image --hostname=foo --size=4Gb --swap=256Mb --ide \
    --dhcp --force \
    --dir=/vserver --memory=256Mb --arch=i386 --kernel=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-xen \
    --initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-xen --debootstrap --dist=gutsy \
    --mirror=http://no.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ --passwd

I might have made one mistake though, I tried to do it myself before I looked up the howto and installed the ubuntu-xen-desktop package instead of the server one in the guide. But from what I can tell its the same thing with added GUI stuff.

Another thing I am not sure of is that the server is directly connected to my cable modem with DHCP since I dont have a router (wich will be the first task I will give this box). And since the host system is also using DHCP with only one address available, I am not sure how Xen responds to this. I tried to set the main interface to 0.0.0.0 before I ran the create command but there was no progress.

Any clues?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I've just written a guide for Ubuntu 7.10: http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu-7.10-server-install-xen-from-ubuntu-repositories
    but it isn't much different that the 7.04 guide, so that should work, too.
    Did you take a look at your logs? Maybe you don't have enough RAM or hard disk space?

If your modem has a DHCP server, then it is already a router.

3. Kai

Kai New Member

Thanks for the reply,

For some reason I didnt recive a mail stating your feedback until 24.12 :confused:

Found the fault though, it was that I couldnt get a second IP address from the ISP.
    So I snuck out a spare Cisco router from work and used that instead until I get a gateway running on a virtual server.
    Works like a charm now :)

Regards
    Kai