Installing Xen On CentOS 5.0 (i386) - can't create vm01, using CentOS5.0 64bit

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by SoftDux, Feb 26, 2008.

1. SoftDux

SoftDux New Member

I'm following this howto: http://www.howtoforge.com/centos_5.0_xen - but I'm getting stuck at creating the vm01 domU virtual machine. I followed the suggested HOWTO, with a few minor changes (like more RAM & HDD space, and used /dev/hdc as install location

Code:
    What is the name of your virtual machine? <-- [COLOR="Red"]vm01[/COLOR]
    How much RAM should be allocated (in megabytes)? <-- [COLOR="Red"]512[/COLOR] 
    What would you like to use as the disk (path)? <-- [COLOR="#ff0000"]/vm/vm01.img[/COLOR]
    How large would you like the disk (/vm/vm01.img) to be (in gigabytes)? <-- [COLOR="#ff0000"]10[/COLOR] 
    Would you like to enable graphics support? (yes or no) <-- [COLOR="#ff0000"]no[/COLOR]
    What is the install location? <-- [COLOR="#ff0000"]/dev/hdc[/COLOR]

And then I get this:

Funny enough, the vm is created, but I don't think it's done properly, as I didn't get the setup screen

2. topdog

topdog Active Member

You need the "--cdrom" switch if installing from cdrom.

3. SoftDux

SoftDux New Member

ok, that makes sence, but how exactly do I use it?

I've tried various ways:

4. topdog

topdog Active Member

5. SoftDux

SoftDux New Member

thanx, I thnk I found the problem. My system / kernel / something doesn't see all the RAM in the PC. I have 2GB installed, but virt-install doesn't see it?

This is rather interesting:

Yet, dmesg sees the 2GB

6. topdog

topdog Active Member

There is a kernel option you need to append at the boot loader prompt to get it to see all the memory, i had a similar problem, but i have forgotten what the option is, it on my dev system at home.

7. SoftDux

SoftDux New Member

I figured as much, since the normal kernel detects the full 2GB RAM. I would have thought it could be a PAE problem, but I don't have 4GB RAM (yet), so it's not that. thanx for the pointer, I'll see what I can get.

P.S. I would have thought that you'd put it on your website? :)

8. SoftDux

SoftDux New Member

ok, I found the patch to fit it: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=250299

But I still can't create the domU's, how do I debug it?

tail -f /var/log/xen/xend.log shows this:

Any suggestions for this?

9. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What does the Xen configuration file for that vm look like?