Internal Server Error - Ispconfig3 login

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by kanon, May 11, 2022.

1. kanon

kanon New Member

i was a editing a page live via ftp on newly added site on my Ispconfig3 server and noticed the content of the file simply disappeared after clicking "save". I tried to login to ISPconfig3 web interface but gets this error displayed - "
    Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    pls i need urgent help and have attached my apache2 error.log file.

Attached Files:

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

From your log:

So next, look into the suexec.log to find out what the reason for the error is.

3. kanon

kanon New Member

Ok. attached is my suexec.log

Attached Files:

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

5. kanon

kanon New Member

Thank you Taleman, i checked;
    - All the files and folders inside /var/www/ (including www folder itself) are owned by web16 and group client7.
    i have no experience what to do.

6. kanon

kanon New Member

my OS is Debian 9, web server Apache 2.4, Default php is 7.0 (7.2 and 7.3 installed also)

7. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

If that really is the case then your server is misconfigured. Have you done something that changes owners of files?
    The /var/www directory should be owned by root:root. Verify what situation really is on your server, for reference the command I used and result on my server:
    Code:
    root@posti:~# ls -lhd /var/www
    drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4,0K elo     4  2021 /var/www

The files inside /var/www must be owned by root:root except apps which must be ispapps:ispapps
    Code:
    root@posti:~# ls -lhd /var/www/apps/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 ispapps ispapps 4,0K helmi   5  2021 /var/www/apps/

8. kanon

kanon New Member

Yes thats my exact situation
    root@server1:~# ls -lhd /var/www
    drwxr-xr-x 8 web16 client7 4.0K May 11 10:32 /var/www
    i guess i am the culprit but have no idea how it happened. i had what i thought was misconfigured website that is access via subdomain. i noticed that the vhost data remained after deleting the website from ispconfig3 and the directory tree at /var/www/clients/client7/web16 resemble root structure rather than ispconfig3 so i went ahead to delete vhost data manually and also forcefully remove the site data at /var/www/clients

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no easy fix for your problem, you seem to have recursively changed permissions for all folders in /var/www to a wrong user and group. There is no easy fix for this as it breaks the ISPConfig Ui and all websites on that system. ISPConfig UI and also each website is owned by a different user and group and without restoring correct permissions, this will not work anymore. Do you have a full backup of /var/www with correct permissions that you can restore?

You mean you had directories like /usr, /etc and so on? That's called a jail and part of the ISPConfig website, it is used for jailed ssh users and cronjobs, so it's perfectly fine to see such folders there.

10. kanon

kanon New Member

Thanks a million Till, i have backup but almost a year old and i can access Mysql management through phpmyadmin as root and can also access my files via SFTP as root. Guess i should just go get my hands dirty/ i was thinking there may be a quick fix though. thanks

11. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

In the panel, System -> Server config -> server1.example.com -> Web -> Permissions, you have a checkbox "Set folder permissions on update". You can enable that and then go to Tools -> Resync, check "Websites" and then "Start".

All your websites will now have the correct permissions again - or mostly. But there will still be a lot of manual work. Might be less work to set up a new server and migrate to it with the migration tool.