IPCop to bridge LANs

Discussion in 'Technical' started by junkcatcher, Nov 20, 2006.

1. junkcatcher

junkcatcher New Member

In the past have used IPCop in my Soho lan as a firewall/router although now I trust in my broadband modem-routers NAT+firewall and decent software firewalling on each desktop PC.

Now my requirements have changed, because of phone company and ISP unreliability we now have two broadband connections from different ISPs, one is 8mb/s Radsl the other 512kb/s ADSL shortly to be upraded to ADSL2.

The home network is now physically split in two with no direct connection between the two halves.
    Both sides have a WAN connection via modem routers which issue IP info via DCHP one address pool operates on 19.168.8.* the other on 192.168.1.*.

On Lan 1 clients are one PC with Xp home, and an HP2575 network printer connected directly to the router using ipp.

Lan 2 has two clients: a dual boot Mepis Linux/Win98se pc and a Win NT4 pc.

Problem is how to enable file and printer sharing between the two LANs yet retaining two seperated WAN connections

Could an IPCop box be used as a bridge to enable local network file and printer sharing ?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I think you need a file- and print server with two network cards that is connected to both networks.