ipsconfig 3 * subdomain

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by planks, Feb 14, 2009.

1. planks

planks New Member

I don't know how to add the * subdomain . If i try in Sites > Subdomain > Add new subdomain > Domain = * it apears an error :
    "Error:
    Domain name invalid."

So how to add the * subdomain in ispconfig 3 ???

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can select * as auto subdomain in the website settings.

3. planks

planks New Member

I found it . thx

4. mnott

mnott New Member

Prevent automated update / reset of /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/*.vhost

Hi all,

I need to do my own modifications to the .vhosts files. How can I prevent ispconfig from overwriting these every now and then? (Or whoever does it; I'm running the ISPConfig3 vmware appliance).

Tnx,

M

5. grungy

grungy Member

Right now you can't. I guess developers don't find that important ;)

6. mnott

mnott New Member

Yes, we can :)

Well, obviously we can. Using "vi" or other tools. I just want to avoid having ISPConfig /overwrite/ my changes.

M

7. grungy

grungy Member

My post was about users not being able to prevent custom changes being overwritten.....

8. mnott

mnott New Member

Well, then we can't :-(

Yet I've fiddled around a bit and still did not find the place that is actually responsible for overwriting the files. The ISPConfig guys could at least explain their appliance so that we can stop this.

M

9. grungy

grungy Member

Have a look at bugtracker:

http://bugtracker.ispconfig.org/ind...446&string=custom&project=3&search_name=&type[0]=&sev[0]=&pri[0]=&due[0]=&reported[0]=&cat[0]=&status[0]=&percent[0]=&opened=&dev=&closed=&duedatefrom=&duedateto=&changedfrom=&changedto=&openedfrom=&openedto=&closedfrom=&closedto=

http://bugtracker.ispconfig.org/ind...425&string=custom&project=3&search_name=&type[0]=&sev[0]=&pri[0]=&due[0]=&reported[0]=&cat[0]=&status[0]=&percent[0]=&opened=&dev=&closed=&duedatefrom=&duedateto=&changedfrom=&changedto=&openedfrom=&openedto=&closedfrom=&closedto=

Vote, comment, this is needed! :)

10. mnott

mnott New Member

Done.

Also, have a look at

http://www.mnsoft.org/547.0.html?&cHash=aca2a5fabc&tx_ttnews[backPid]=544&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=24

I've implemented a way that allows you to have mail domain aliases w/o having to manage accounts multiple times.

Other than that, ISPConfig could allow for filtering emails better - we can only filter to/from, but not cc. At the end of the day, we end up with custom mail filters (which is not so bad, at least these are not overwritten)

M

11. till

Noone will explain you something if you do not ask ;)

Ans it is really easy to find as the names are self explaining:

/usr/local/ispconfig/server/plugins-enabled/apache2_plugin.inc.php

12. mnott

mnott New Member

Thanks!

So this is called only when changes are done in the UI?

I was looking for something cron driven.

M

13. till

This is event driven by the UI, the events are stored in the sys_datalog table and they were executed by cron.

14. mnott

mnott New Member

Understood.

Is there an option to not overwrite these files if they were changed by the user? Otherwise we could modify server.sh to call some "save/restore" script before and after.

I can understand that this contradicts the approach of ISPConfig - at the end of the day, it is there to allow you to avoid fiddling with these files. Another approach would be to probably not put the additional subdomains in the same, but in different .vhosts files that are not and have never been managed by ISPConfig, thus leaving ISPConfig out of that game entirely.

Am going to think about this for a bit. Thanks for the help.

M

P.S. Something that would be nice to have: A password change for the mysql root password. That password is stored in about 3million places, and for the appliance it would be great being able to change that with a single command.

15. till

If you need vhosts with manual settings you should create them outside of ISPConfig. the vhost files of ispconfig should not be edited manually and it is not planned to change that. If you need some extra apache directives for a ispconfig vhost, you can add them in the apache directives field of the website.

16. till

It is stored in 2 places. The config.inc.php file for the interface and the one for the server.