IPv6 PTR record creation (resolved)

Discussion in 'General' started by Xzave, Apr 12, 2024.

1. Xzave

Xzave Member

Hi all,
    my system is not malfunctioning included in the faq to read before post.
    My server is debian 12 with lastet ispconfig panel.
    I have many problem with gmail reverse ipv6 PTR entry . I contact my provider of my server.
    He saids to me to follow differents steps in the control panel of the server. In these steps, there is a special step: entry 'AAAA' to subdomain of my ispconfig panel.
    He tests with ping and nmap my server for ipv6, and the result is ok, server is ok for ipv6.
    But, he said "ISPconfig interface does not seem accessible on IPv6".
    to prove it he gives me the test results

for ipv4 ok
    Code:
    curl -Ik https://[myipv4]:8080/login/
    HTTP/2 200
    expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
    for ipv6 nok

Code:
    curl -Ik -6 https://[myipv6]:8080/login/
    curl: (35) error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It does not matter if you use IPv4 or IPv6 for ISPConfig access. The ISPConfig vhost listens on any IPv4 and IPv6 IP address of your server on port 8080. If you get a different answer for Ipv4 and Ipv6, then it might be that the two addresses point to different systems so the Ipv6 answer does not end up on the ISPConfig server or that a firewall or router you have in between routes the traffic differently.

Besides that, accessing ISPConfig is not related to PTR records at all, so it does not matter if you can access ISPConfig by IPv4 or IPv6 for this. All you have to do is to create a PTR record for the Ipv6 address of your server on the DNS server that is responsible for this IP, this is typically the DNS server of the company that assigned you the IPv6 address and not your ISPConfig server.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    Xzave likes this.
  3. till

Xzave and ahrasis like this.
  4. Xzave

Xzave Member

Hi,all,

now, on my server

Code:
    dig -x 2001:41d0:a:5c3e::
    return

Code:
    ; <<>> DiG 9.18.24-1-Debian <<>> -x 2001:41d0:a:5c3e::
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 24042
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
    ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
    ; COOKIE: ddd12a34acce7a24010000006622ceabd8b6b5cb9c5ec93c (good)
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.e.3.c.5.a.0.0.0.0.d.1.4.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa. IN PTR

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.e.3.c.5.a.0.0.0.0.d.1.4.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa. 3600 IN PTR xzave.laportance.net.

;; Query time: 0 msec
    ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1) (UDP)
    ;; WHEN: Fri Apr 19 22:06:03 CEST 2024
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 163
    and

Code:
    host -t PTR  2001:41d0:a:5c3e::
    return
    Code:
    0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.e.3.c.5.a.0.0.0.0.d.1.4.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa domain name pointer xzave.laportance.net.

on external server:

no PTR answer.Why?

5. till

Did you create a PTR record on the DNS server of your internet access provider (the one that provides this IPv6 address for your server)? Please post a screenshot of the record you created. Did you ask the support of that provider to confirm that the correct PTR record has been created in their systems for the IPv6 address they delegated to you?

Xzave likes this.
  6. Xzave

Xzave Member

7. till

No, you don't have these two possibilities. Only one of them is valid and which one it is is defined by your internet service provider and not by you. So you can not create your own PTR in ISPConfig unless the ISP explicitly delegated the responsibility for the PTR to your server, which is unlikely as most ISPs don't do that. If you create a PTR on your ISPConfig server and the responsibility has not been delegated, then creating this PTR has no effect as your server is not the authoritative DNS server for this subnet. Therefore, contact the support of your ISP or if your ISP or datacenter has a login system where you can set a PTR, then you must set it there.

Xzave likes this.
  8. Xzave

Xzave Member

9. till

Xzave likes this.
  10. till

I guess what you used there is your subnet and not your IP. Try using this instead:

xzave.laportance.net. A 2001:41d0:a:5c3e::1

Xzave likes this.
  11. Xzave

Xzave Member

It works !