Is it necessary to create a DNS zone for the hostname?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by sebolavie, Jan 31, 2024.

1. sebolavie

sebolavie New Member

Hello,

I wanted to know if it was necessary to create a DNS zone for the hostname in order to benefit from SPF/DKIM...etc because I have problems with emails coming back "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender".

Thanks
    Seb

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Zone for hostname, maybe your question is not formulated properly?
    My signature has link to e-mail setup tutorial, maybe it answers your real question?
    There is also this: https://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig-email-account/

ahrasis likes this.
  3. sebolavie

sebolavie New Member

Thank you for your quick response.
    I watched the tutorial and everything is as per this document on my end.
    So if I understand correctly, there is no point in creating a DNS zone for the hostname, because the SPF and DKIM verification is done on the domain name belonging to the email box that sends the email, not on the hostname?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Correct.

And in general, the hostname must be a subdomain like server1.yourdomain.com and you do not create a zone for subdomains. So the hostname is just a A-Record in the zone of the domain the subdomain belongs to. So when your hostname is server1.domain.tld, then server1 is just a A-record in the zone domain.tld and not a separate zone.

ahrasis likes this.
  5. sebolavie

sebolavie New Member

Ok, but my hostname is totally different from the site domain and mailboxes created with the domain. For example, I have hostname abcd.com and my site domain is blablabla.com

6. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Basically all are fine except that a hostname must be a subdomain as mentioned by @till above.

7. till

That's fine and usually the case. What I described applies in exact that case that you have. But the hostname must be a subdomain as you can not use the (main) domain for websites and email otherwise, which would not make sense.

8. sebolavie

sebolavie New Member

my host name is indeed a subdomain but it does not belong to the domain name of the website and email boxes created on ispconfig. totally different. Is it good though?

9. till

That's fine and usually the case.

10. sebolavie

sebolavie New Member

Thanks