is it safe yet? (non threatening title!)

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by craig baker, Oct 18, 2020.

1. craig baker

craig baker Member HowtoForge Supporter

... to try and migrate everything from 3.1/centos 7 on one server to 3.2/centos 8 on another?? anything that needs be done beforehand? or anything that would prevent it from working? if not .... I guess I'll give it a try :)
    cdb.

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you follow the perfect server tutorial to install on CentOS 8 it should be safe. Make sure to read the release notes carefully for the differences 3.2 has. I would suggest using the migration tool to migrate.

3. craig baker

craig baker Member HowtoForge Supporter

question - last time I migrated it was between servers behind the same router - so dns info address NOTHING actually changed on the server end. just had to point the router at a different internal ip, everything moved instantly.
    this time i'll be migrating to a new server on a different static ip.
    what will happen to dns entries? will they all be repointed? or do I have to redo them all manually?
    at tne end of the day godaddy has the definition of 'ns9.cdbsystems.com' and i can point that to the new server static ip.
    and also, ns9 will EVENTUALLY be a different static ip in a month or so. would be nice to have a master/slave dns server setup at that point :)

4. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You have to repoint them manually.

5. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

If it's a lot of DNS records, it might be faster to update them directly in the database (use phpmyadmin) then Resync dns zones afterwards.

Th0m likes this.