is shell user allowed to sudo ?

Discussion in 'General' started by nsansari, Dec 30, 2010.

1. nsansari

nsansari New Member

Hi All

Just a quick question hopefully. Up until now I've been serving simple websites using ISPConfig3, however a user has asked for shell access including sudo now.

The user asked me:Can u give me ssh access to the linux server ? and also enable me to create shell users in ispconfig?. Actually i want to enable some apache modules (like url rewrite) on sites?

So when I create a shell user with chroot shell jailkit, they just land in a blank directory and can then do a cd .. to get the root of their site.

Running sudo however gives

bash: sudo: command not found

Is this normal behaviour ??

Does the user really need shell/sudo to achieve what he is trying to do ? or is there another way of doing this ?

Any help much appreciated.

and seasons' greetings and happy holidays to All !!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You must install the sudo package. Which distribution do you use?
    Thanks, I wish the same to you! :)

3. nsansari

nsansari New Member

Thanks for the reply falko.

I'm on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. When I login as root I can run sudo no problems. So does the user need to install sudo package separately ?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Sudo is not available for chrooted users. If a user shall be able to use sudo, then it has to be a not chrooted user.

It makes not much sense to allow a normal user to activate or deactivate apache modules, as this affects all websites on that server and not just his own website. If he shall be able to configure apache, the he is the administrator of the server and has the root password anyway.

5. talkingnews

talkingnews New Member

Running into this same problem myself. Just seen the post above and changed the user to non-jailkit.

I want to do it this way for two reasons:
    1: So that most of the time, I won't have to mess around with passwords, just use putty, pageant and a shortcut - double-click and I'm in.
    But I want to also be able to sudo nginx restart or sudo bash if need be.

Sudo exists for the root user, but not for my shell user. How can I enable this?

I've tried symlinking and copying sudo to the user's bin file, as the root user to the ispc user, but then I get "sudo: error while loading shared libraries: libutil.so.1: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory"

I thought it was good practice to ssh in as a non-root user then sudo. Am I doing something wrong here?