Is there a recommended Linux distribution?

Discussion in 'General' started by BorderAmigos, Jun 11, 2008.

1. BorderAmigos

BorderAmigos New Member

Is there a recommended Linux distribution that may work best with ISPConfig?

2. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

I would recommend Debian Etch if you plan to setup a server with ISPConfig! :) Very stable, lots of documentation available and last but not least: i have a good experience with it.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

One more vote for Debian :)

4. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

Debian has proven to be a very stable server. However it does not feature the latest versions of all programs and stuff - but it is stable and stability on a server is what you want.

5. BorderAmigos

BorderAmigos New Member

Thanks, I'll try Debian then. Had too many issues creeping up with Fedora. Burned the 3 Debian DVD's this morning and will install tonight.

6. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

If the server is connected to internet you will only need the net install CD.

7. lyndros

lyndros New Member

my vote is to ubuntu server... 1 year and a half been running with 6.06 and zero problems, recently updated to hardy.

:D

8. BorderAmigos

BorderAmigos New Member

I installed Debian Etch. The server installs went well. I'm having some DNS issues but I don't think that's caused by ISPConfig directly.

As I do use the computer for other things I'm setting up other programs as well. Lot's of problems in Debian with multimedia issues. Things that 'just worked' in Fedora don't in Debian on an AMD64 system. But that's off topic for here.

9. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You didn't say that you also want to run a desktop on the system. For desktops I'd recommend Ubuntu, for servers Debian.

10. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

I second that :)