Is there a way to have an SSL cert on a staging WP site?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by peterpetr, Sep 5, 2023.

1. peterpetr

peterpetr Member

I have no problems with ISPconfig's LetsEncrypt features once my DNS points to MySite.com.
    Currently, I'm using the latest version of ISPconfig.

However, I want to keep the old MySite.com active while I work on the new staging version of MySite.com on a different VPS.
    Question #1: Is there any way to get an SSL cert working on MySite.com (staging site) at a different IP address than specified for the old, live MySite.com?

Question #2: There is a plugin called Really Simple SSL (https://wordpress.org/plugins/really-simple-ssl/ for the free version) that might be a solution, but I don't want to mess up my ISPconfig in any way.

After my new, staging version of MySite.com is ready, I will make it LIVE by pointing the DNS records to the new site's IP address.
    Then, I will be able to use ISPconfig's LetsEncrypt to generate the SSL cert. Above, I'm looking for an interim SSL cert on the staging site.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Enable SSL checkbox on the website, go to the SSL tab of the site, and create a self-signed SSL cert. When visiting the site, accept the browser warning that is issued due to the self-signed cert.

Will not help and makes no sense on ISPConfig systems as ISPConfig can issue LE certs and self-signed certs without needing a third-party WP plugin. If LE will not issue a cert through ISPConfig because the domain does not point to the server, then LE will not issue a cert using this plugin either. Use a self-signed cert for testing or upload the real live cert and key on the SSL tab that you might have already from your live site.