Is there a way to nstall Ubuntu from the DOS prompt

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by wctaelectronics, Jun 11, 2008.

1. wctaelectronics

wctaelectronics New Member

Hi,

I have a frustrating situation here and I hope that you guys can help. A friend of mine gave me several computers that his work was getting rid of due to an upgrade. They are quite nice and I was all excited to get one set up as a server to replace the old one I have been using.

Now comes the frustration! I pop the Ubuntu disk in and boot up the system just to discover that it won't boot from the CD. No problem I say to myself, I'll just go into the BIOS and change the settings so it will. So I reboot, hit delete to enter the BIOS setup menu just to discover that it is password protected!!! GRRRR:mad: So I call my buddy and ask him about it. He calls the company that services their computers and they won't give him the password. I am in the process of trying to get my hands on the manual for the motherboard to figure out how to reset the BIOS but after a week I am getting nowhere!!

So what I am wondering is if there is a way to start the installation disk from the DOS prompt? I poked around on the disk but couldn't find any way of doing it.

I really appreciate any help anyone could offer!!
    Thanks so much
    Andy

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If the BIOS allows a PXE boot, you could try this: http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_pxe_install_server

Otherwise, the last option might be to install Ubuntu on another system (with similar hardware) and then simply put the hard drive with Ubuntu on it into the password-protected system.

3. flipb18b

flipb18b New Member

The easiest way to remove the BIOS Password is to either Close the Bios reset Jumper, or plain ol' yank the BIOS battery. Pulling the battery and waiting a good few minutes will deferentially solve the Password problem

4. wctaelectronics

I opened the computer up with the intention of pulling the battery and I can't seem to be able to locate one anywhere!! I still have had no luck getting the manual for it either. I'm still working on it though! I guess it is these kind of challenges that make this stuff fun!!

5. flipb18b

flipb18b New Member

6. wctaelectronics

You are a lifesaver!!!

I checked out that page you listed and tried the Award BIOS cracker. In the blink of an eye I had the password and was able to go in and make the changes I needed! I had no idea that there were programs like that. I guess I learn something new every day! :)

I'm off and running now!!
    Thanks again!
    Andy