Is there a 'working' guide to install IPSConfig on a fresh VPS?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by p045, May 1, 2019.

1. p045

p045 New Member

I am having nightmares with opensource control panels. I tried CentOs Web Panel, Ajenti and now IPSConfig. While the previous two managed to work after installing, but they were too buggy. As for IPSConfig, I can't even get past the install steps.

I am using a new CentOs 7.6 x64 VPS from DigitalOcean, and I just can't find a tutorial that works at all.

Has anyone managed to find line-by-line guide to install IPSConfig without any issues?

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You were sent a link to the official installation guide in your other post. I have not tried the CentOs guides, only the debian guides, and they have worked flawlessly. It is my subjective opinion that people seem to have more issues on CentOs than debian/ubuntu, so if you can stand the switch, I'd recommend giving one of those a try, just follow the Perfect Server guide for your distribution version and preferred web server, and do exactly what it says.

3. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

i'm not familiar with centos, had to solve a couple of issues on one centos server a while ago, and more recently, try to get some required php, yaml, node, npm stuff installed on a centos 7.6 server running whm. and it was an absolute bitch. don't now if it was just centos, or WHM was interfering, but the repo's didn't seem to have halve the software they were supposed to contain (looking at you epel, and remi :mad:). trying to manually download and compile stuff just took me in circles trying to find stuff missing from repo's, downloading them to find something else required was also missing from the repo. took 3 of us, over a couple of days, to get something which mostly worked (couldn't get/find php-yaml anywhere, every repo we tried - unknown package o_O).
    done it all, without issues in less than 10 minutes on ubuntu. i'll admit, the centos server was fast. but that's probably because nothing else would run on it. it wasn't worth the headaches trying to get it working. so like Jesse, i'd recommend trying Debian/ubuntu instead.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

As mentioned many times in the forum and on the ISPConfig documentation page, Ubuntu and Debian are the recommended distributions for ISPconfig. Your first mistake was that you decided to choose a distribution for ISPConfig against the recommendations of the ISPConfig developers and against the recommendation of longtime ISPConfig users. Don't blame us or ISPConfig for your personal choice with did not match your Linux experience. Using centOS is fine if you are an experienced Linux admin, if not, choosing CentOs was quite a bad choice. Then you first decided that you can install ISPconfig without reading the installation instructions as we can see in your other threads, that this must fail is obvious.

E.g. I tested the CentOS guide a few days ago. Blind copy&pastw of the commands resulted in a working setup. But, things like the fstab file where you failed depend on the setup that your hoster did, so depending on the partitioning scheme of your server, the file is different, which means you need some basic understanding of harddisks and their setup on Linux to configure the partitions right. The guide shows two common setups, but your provider might have chosen a different one.

To sum it up, all the guides published here at howtoforge to install ISPOConfig are working fine and are tested regularly. But some of them are easier than others, as a Linux novice, you better go with ubuntu 18.04 or Debian 9:

A list of install guides can be found here:

https://www.ispconfig.org/documentation/