Is there documentation?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Rune, May 19, 2009.

1. Rune

Rune New Member

I've looked on the ispconfig site and other than installation howtos there doesn't seem to be any documentation for ispconfig 3, just ispconfig 2, is this just because 3 is pretty new and they haven't been done yet?

Everything I've managed to find from some web searches show screens that I don't even have in my installation of ispconfig 3 on the latest Debian Lenny, I'm guessing other stuff will become available as I start configuring things

Problem being I've never used anything like ispconfig before so I'm completely in the dark on how to proceed now I have it installed

2. Rune

Rune New Member

Lots of views and no replies so I figured the answer to my question had to be 'nope there isn't'

Decided I'd search the ispconfig 3 forum for 'dns', dns seeming a logical place to start setting the server up, didn't find anything on using ispc 3 for configuring dns but did find a post on one thread that suggested there wouldn't likely be a manual of any sort because:

'No-one seems to miss not having a manual as ispc is self-explanatory'

Well for around 3 years I had a bind dns server running just fine but I've never used a tool like ispc or the mydns server package before and forgive me if I'm being a bit stupid, but it doesn't seem very self-explanatory to me

Having gone to all the trouble of explaining how to install all those packages and then ispc itself it just seems a bit like an unfinished job not have at least a simple 'getting started' type thing to help ispc newcomers know where to start

Spot of feedback from someone who has never used ispc before there, hope the comments are taken inn the spirit intended

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

The problem is it's very hard to find the time for it. I have to write tutorials, develop ISPConfig, and answer questions in the forum, and then the day is already over. :(

4. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

Wiki?

I suggest You allow us to help you in the documentation.
    I have found Wiki with Captcha to be the most effective way to do these kinds of things.
    I'm usually too busy to help but occasionally I have some minutes that I can spare and would welcome a place to post my two cents worth.
    If you are too busy to do it I have several servers at my disposal?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

We had a wiki already several times for ispconfig. If there is no wiki, everone wants one and says that they will fill it and if there is a wiki, nobody will enter anything. There is a wiki at wiki.ispconfig.org and many poeple got granted write access already an? its empty. If you like to get access, write me an email.

6. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

That is a problem. If there is anything that is guaranteed it's human laziness. :) Most people (including me) are willing to fill in a simple Captcha but most are NOT willing to apply for a password if it's not a simple automatic process.

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Its not that we did not try that... We had the wiki oppen without a password and without a captcha for over half a year and nobody added something :) So the password is not the problem.

But I will give it another try.