ISP Config and GoDaddy MX

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by gdog05, May 16, 2007.

1. gdog05

gdog05 New Member

Hey guys,

I know this one has been done to death, but I still haven't grasped it. I'm not running a DNS server, single static IP and single site. I'm using the Ubuntu perfect, btw. I never quite figured out my email. I have my domain at godaddy, and I've changed the A host record, which has been working great, but I haven't played with mail until now. According to the autoresponder, godaddy still has control of the MX address. I don't know what to change it to, though. My IP address? Port 25 on the router is opened, too. Thanks everyone.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You must change the MX record to point to your domain name. MX records always point to a domain and not a IP address.

3. gdog05

gdog05 New Member

Thanks for responding Till,

Here's what I have:

Priority Host Goes To
    0 @ smtp.secureserver.net
    10 @ mailstore1.secureserver.net

I have my IP as the A Host, and doesn't the @ mean it's using the A Host value? If that's the case, should the Host be my domain, or would the "Goes To" be my domain. Thanks again for your help.

*Edit:

I changed the host to my domain name in both the priority 0 and 10 categories, and it works great now. Forgot it takes several hours to go through, but seems to be fine now. Thanks Till!

Last edited: May 18, 2007