ISP Config for own nameservers/IP based Hosting/&Domain pointers

Discussion in 'General' started by mypatek, Apr 30, 2007.

1. mypatek

mypatek New Member

Hi all

I'm looking for an easy serveradmin tool for a dedicated server with the following spec:

5 ips available

2 ips for nameservers (ns.mydomain.com ns2.mydomain.com)

3 ips for domain1.com domain2.com and domain3.com

(I'd like to setup the primary and 1 secondary nameserver on the same machine as the 3 domains are hosted on; a 3rd secondary ns would be externally)

1 question: is it possible to configure bind with ISPCONFIG for above case?

2 question: is ISPCONFIG suitable to setup ip-based hosting as I'd like that if a user enter only the respective ip-address, they will be sent to the domain that the ip address stands for and not to a general "SHARED IP page"

3 question: can I setup domain pointers with ISPCONFIG: i.e. domain1.net --> domain1.com

Thanks

2. Devil

Devil New Member

I'm interested to know this too.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) Yes. But thats not ISPConfig specifc, just configure your bind ro listen on the IP addresses you want. But there is generally no need to have 2 dedicated IP addresses for bind, as you can run websites as well on these IP addresses. The webserver and bind are listening on different ports.

2) No, ISPConfig uses namebased hosting.

3) Yes, this is named co-domains in ISPConfig.

4. Devil

Devil New Member

1) Can we use ISPconfig to configure that part of Bind?
    2) Is there a module that we can use or setup on the box itself, without the help of ISPconfig, to set that up?

5. mypatek

mypatek New Member

The following link should help to configure the nameservers manually: http://rimuhosting.com/support/bindviawebmin.jsp

ip-based support would be great. is there another fine free server panel that works on centos 5?

I was impressed of ServerCP lite but it doesn't support Centos 5 yet.

6. Devil

Devil New Member

ServerCP lite?
    Free?

Isn't that guide to work with Webmin only?

7. till

yes.

What do you mean with that. You want to setup ISPConfig without ISPConfig :confused:

8. Devil

Devil New Member

LOL, apologies.
    I meant to say, is there a way we can setup namebased hosting, with or without ISPconfig's help?

9. till

ISPConfig uses always namebased hosting for all websites. To setup namebased hosts wirhout ISPConfig, you will have to create the vhost definitions manually in your apache configuration.

10. Devil

Devil New Member

How'd we go about doing that for IP-based hosting?

11. till

You will have to setup IP based vhosts manually in your apache configuration. IP based vhosts are not used very often by ISP's because IP's are short.