isp needs

Discussion in 'Technical' started by mrh, Aug 19, 2005.

1. mrh

mrh New Member

if i want to setup an isp what exactly i need?
    of course i need a Linux server and ispconfig on it... an ip and a domain...
    what else??

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

A fast and reliable connection, redundant if possible, a UPS, maybe backup servers, billing software, etc.
    And a lot of technical knowledge and time... :p

3. mrh

mrh New Member

mercy dear falko

which software???

is a DSL connection enough or i should have satellite?

4. linutzy

linutzy New Member

It's a lot of leg work.

First understanding how DNS works is a plus. Server side DNS is not like Windoze client side DNS. (punch in a bunch of numbers and go)

Second you need to understand how mail works, again this has nothing to do with you setting up outlook express. The postfix book I picked up is a new monster next to the DNS and Bind book I already have.

Having ispconfig running is nice but you really still need to know the guts of the network and this kind of means understanding a bit of programming. I mean what is ispconfig doing in the background is something you should always be asking.

Then you have the actuall connection to worry about. I use DSL and actually have seen a DMARK point and know of CMTS's work when using cable broadband. However this is another layer all together (more physical dBmv etc) However you still need to understand authentication via pppoe, static or dhcp assignement. If you have CISCO maybe BGP is something you need to look at. Stuff like this is a long walk at times but it's worth knowing.

5. mrh

mrh New Member

mercy too much