ISP3: Apache fails to start if symlink /var/clients/clientX/webX/log is moved/changed

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by DonAteloNow, Feb 7, 2009.

1. DonAteloNow

DonAteloNow New Member

Dear all, and espacially Till and Falco,

First of all, I've to say big THANK YOU for you great job! I'm one of those really busy guys, who is learning a lot and taking only a very little role in help to others. Sorry for that. I'm planning to share my experience soon, because I took the challenge to migrate around 100 small business domains to ISPconfig 3.0.0.8 :eek: So, anyway, I must to write good tutorial at least on my native language, how to use it. But now I have one big issue:

By default, when you create the site in the panel, it makes folder called webX with subfolders cgi-bin, ssl, tmp, web and log which is link to folder /var/log/ispconfig/httpd/domainname.ltd. Also, by default, webFTP user is granted with all needed permissions to delete/move/rename this folder/link. It could happen accidentally as well. In that case, on next apache2 restart it fails to start. If you bring back default values, it starts normaly.

So my question is, how to tell apache not too check those links, or maybe is there a way to may those links with different user permissions? Or should I change those permissions manualy for every client? :confused: What would be the best choice, guys? maybe I missed small option somewhere?

And also, I would like to report about little bug :) I think it is bug, not me :D So, when you create the site, it's not showing up straight away on browser. Error page is appearing. You have to switch from SuPHP to Mod-PHP, and than back to SuPHP again, and after page is comming on browser.

Thanks for your help and sorry for my google English.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. DonAteloNow

DonAteloNow New Member

Edit:

Is it possible that I asked lame question? :eek: I checked similiar thing on ISP2 and found, that renaming/moving of logs folder will make the same thing - web server will fail to start. Did I miss some ground Linux knowlegde? :eek: I don't understand the point of that. Sorry to disturb you, fellows.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It is normal that apache fails if you move the logs folder.