ISPC 3, powerdns, mysql replication not working.

Discussion in 'General' started by damir, Jul 7, 2010.

1. damir

damir New Member

Hi all,

Im trying to install PowerDNS as DNS server instead of MyDNS. Test environment includes two servers. One server has ISPConfig installed, powerdns and mysql. Server 2 has Powerdns and mysql installed.

Everything is working fine except replication of mysql with powerdns database that ISPConfig has created.

Replication is working fine with other test databases but not with the PowerDNS database that was created by ISPConfig installer.

If i create new table in powerdns database it's replicated fine but if i create new DNS data through ISPconfig panel than that newly created data is not replicated. It's inserted correctly but tables containg new records is not replicated to server 2.

It seems that something is weird with powerdns database that is created by ISPConfig installer.

Anyone with ispconfig, powerdns mysql replication experience?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Looks as you mix up something here. ISPConfig uses a builtin replication mechanism and not the mysql replication. If you configure mysql replication manually beside the ispconfig replication, the system will fail as it creates a conflict. To fix this, remove the mysql replication as it is not nescessary. Then install one ispconfig master server and as many ispconfig slave servers as you need and ispconfig will replicate all nescessary configuration data between these databases. If you use powerdns, then the powerdns databse and plugin has to be on the slave that runs powerdns and ispconfig will replicate the data from the slave database event based into the powerdns database.

3. damir

damir New Member

Thanx for the reply Till.

I thought that powerdns db should be replicated through mysql replication. My bad.

Installing two ISPConfig Powerdns slaves and choosing slave 2 to be mirror of slave 1 replicates Powerdns correctly. Damn whole day went in troubleshooting :D and it was that easy. Well at least i learned everything that is in Mysql replication :)

Now i have connected two DNS server to existing multi server setup and it works like charm.

Thanx again Till.