ISPConfig 2 > 3 upgrade path?

Discussion in 'General' started by wpwood3, Oct 30, 2007.

1. wpwood3

wpwood3 New Member

Will there be an "easy" way for all current ISPConfig 2.x users to upgrade to 3.x when it's available?

By "easy" I mean the upgrade process is straightforward AND there is no loss of existing webs, mail, data, etc. Basically, the upgrade will convert all webs created with 2.x over to whatever the new 3.x format is and all 3.x features will be available.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There will be some kind of import whizard in ISPConfig 3. But you will not be able to install ISPConfig 3 on a server that runs ISPConfig 2, as the system configuration is completely different.

But there is no need to update as ISPConfig 2 will be developed side by side with ISPConfig 3. ISPConfig 2 is made to maintain single "root" servers based on config fiiles and system users while ISPConfig 3 is made to maintain multiple servers with a virtual user setup.

3. wpwood3

wpwood3 New Member

I only have a single root server so it sounds like ISPConfig 2 is still the way to go for me.

I'm glad to hear that 2 will continue to be developed. There are several features that 2 still needs to fully meet my requirements. I certainly don't want to find that 2 is a dead-end path!

4. klonos

klonos New Member

Is there actually any import wizard in 3.x now that it is stable?

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

No, there's no such tool because ISPConfig 3 is totally different from ISPConfig 2.

6. klonos

klonos New Member

I thought so :(

Thanx for taking the time to reply falko! I already kinda knew the answer beforehand, since I did look aroung before posting the question. I was simply confused by till's reply in post #2 and thought I'd give it a try here.

Since no migration tool is available, is there any guide for an upgrade path? I basically need to migrate user accounts and their emails.

7. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

It's an old post - in the beginning we thought such a tool was possible, but then the ISPConfig 3 development took another direction.

8. Morons

Morons Member

ISPC 2 to ISPC 3

Mainly ISPC 2 does not store Passwords however in broad strokes

1. Get the passwords from the shadow file (use pwunconv) the encrypted does actually work
    2. Re-create all the users and I used the encrypted passwds in an MySQL tool such as phpmyadmin

Its tricky as hel but make sure to TEST first before accepting this advice.

Enjoy

OFC the /var/www works fine and old mail - well all mail is rather volatile and thus sometime not worth bothering to transfer however use fetchmail if you need to or the build-in fetch from ISPC3