ispconfig 2 future roadmap & support?

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by burlyhousetech, Nov 3, 2011.

1. burlyhousetech

burlyhousetech Member HowtoForge Supporter

hello -

we have been using ispconfig 2 for several years now and are quite pleased with the control panel. thank you!

looking forward, the intent is to author a custom web app which our customers will use to manage their hosting plans. this custom web app would integrate with ispconfig 2 to facilitate.

i'm curious what the future roadmap & support looks like for ispconfig 2. i'm hesitant to invest in this path if there are plans to discontinue support in the next few years. we have several customizations in mind, and intend to share the end-result publicly for others hosting shops.

moving to ispconfig 3 today would cost a fair bit in terms of migration, training, and time. as such, i would prefer to maintain ispconfig 2 in production for the next few years while we begin to evaluate the upgrade to 3.

however, if the project plan is to discontinue the ispconfig 2 in the near future it would be better we begin the transition sooner than later -- particularly if ispconfig 2 api is (in essence) deprecated in favor of 3.

can you offer any recommendation here? is there a publicly available roadmap detailing the future of ispconfig 2? is either platform (2 or 3) recommended over the other given a developer's perspective? has the ispconfig 2 api been deprecated?

thank you for all of your hard work!
    - nathan

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no roadmap for ISPConfig 2 available anymore, version 2 is only supported with bugfixes. The Apache 1.x which is used as controlpanel server for port 81 in ispconfig 2 does not even compile anymore on several Linux distributions without modifying linux base libraries.

All development is done in ISPConfig 3.

3. burlyhousetech

burlyhousetech Member HowtoForge Supporter

Exactly the info I was looking for. We will shift our efforts towards ISPConfig 3.
    Thank you,
    - N

4. kextra1

kextra1 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

No ISPConfig 2 Support?

I run Apache2 with ISPConfig 2.

Bugfixes are fine. But any way to open up the svn to those that continue to use and develop it? I run ISPConfig 3 on another server but with no way to move one to the other I need my ISPConfig 2 server.

5. jasonorland88

jasonorland88 New Member

I've just found the problem and fixed it in SVN. The problem is that the Bastille firewall init script doesn't detect kernel 3 and therefore thinks a kernel < 2.3 is being used.

Please open /etc/init.d/bastille-firewall and replace line 61
    Code:
    REALSCRIPT=/sbin/bastille-ipchains

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Do you mean ispconfig 2 or 3?