ISPConfig 2 > ISPConfig 3

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by zetnsh, Mar 31, 2009.

1. zetnsh

zetnsh New Member

Hi there,

I currently have 2 production servers successfully running ISPConfig 2. The question is, should I upgrade to ISPConfig 3, is it worth the hassle, and is it safe to do on production machines? (Obviously I have full backups of everything!) Is there a procedure to follow?

Thanks,

Neil

2. robilaur

robilaur New Member

From what i know u cant upgrade from v2 to v3 ... u have to reinstal the server and on a fresh install of the OS u can install v3.
    Is it safe? Yes its safe .. i have it on production machine ant it works fine... even better then v2.
    Is it worth the hassle?... Well... thats up to u , in my opinion it`s worth it.

3. zetnsh

zetnsh New Member

Thanks for the reply. Checking other forum posts, I think you're right, which is a bit of a pain, but we'll have to live with it! Just hope they write something soon :)

4. crypted

crypted Member

I hope there is a method within the next couple update releases of v3. It would be great. I know till originally planned for a transition plan somehow.

5. zetnsh

zetnsh New Member

I agree - it would be extremely useful. Without such a migration route I think that rules out ISPConfig on any server upgrades :(

6. Ben

Ben Active Member Moderator

What I'd do is to setup a VM anywhere where you install ipscfg3 where you can test with, e.g. on how to reinstall a customer and his services there.
    Becasue afaik the won't be any (upcoming) possibility to migrate ispcfg 2 to 3 directly. Maybe there might be a migration script but more with the focus on recreating the data + structure on an independent server running ispconfig 3 to ease up the migration a bit.