ISPConfig 2 | website over quota

Discussion in 'General' started by Hans, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

I've allocated 400 MB Storage space to one of my clients websites.
    When i had a look to the statistics of that website is see that the client has used much more than 400 MB.
    This is what i see:

Storage space: 400 MB
    used: 1.53G
    /web: 1.4G

The allocated webspace to the administrator user of the website is also 400 MB.
    So i ask myself how this is possible, is there an explanation for this?

(I use Debian Lenny with ISPConfig 2.2.35)

2. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

Output of repquota -avug

When i execute the command repquota -avug the following output for the website is shown.
    (See atachment)

I see the 400 MB (409600), which i've alocated to the web, does this mean a bug within ISPConfig?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, thats no bug. This are just two different measuring methods used which cause different results.

The ispconfig interface check the size of the different directories of a website with the command "du". This means that only files are counted that are within these directories. The repquota command counts all files that belong to a specific user on filesystems that have quota enabled independantly where they are stored.

Check the content of the web directory, there must be files inside that are not owned by the admin user of the website, so they are counted by du but not by the quota.

4. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

Hi Till,
    That's weird. I use suPHP for the website and every single file within the /web folder (which is 1.4 GB) is owned by the user:group of the web.I am really sure about this.

WebDAV is also enabled for that website. Is it possible that this has something to do with it?

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I guess this is caused by the logs in the log directory. They are written as root, and afterwards a chown is done. You can delete old log files.

6. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

@Falko,
    Sorry for my late reaction, but i just came back from holiday.
    I do understand that big log files could be a reason, but when i click on the "Statistics" tab, i can see that amount of data within the /log directory is mentioned separately.

I deleted old logfiles for the website and the content of the /web directory is still much bigger then the set quota, which is 400 MB for the directory /web.
    (actually nothing changed)

So, i can see that users can upload more data within the directory /web as 400 MB. I also had a further look to other websites and i found out that for some websites (a few) the directory /web contains also more then the quota defined within ISPConfig by me.

After executing the command: du -h web, i found a directory with backup data (1.1 GB) of my client, which means that he could upload more data then defined within ISPConfig.

*** Update: ***
    In the mean time i've contacted my client.
    He was using a backupscript.
    This script made backups within a subdirectory within the /web folder, So the data was not uploaded to the server.
    Now the huge amount of data has been deleted.

I really ask myself how the over quota was possible and why the defined quota of 400 MB was not the limit??? :confused:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  7. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Probably the files were created as a different users (so that the quota didn't apply), and then later on the ownership got changed.