ISPConfig 3.0.0.4 Beta Released

Discussion in 'General' started by till, Apr 28, 2008.

1. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The first Beta version of ISPconfig 3 is available for download. This release is
    for testing only, it is not for production use.

ISPConfig 3 is a new Hosting Control Panel written from scratch. ISPConfig 3
    is not a direct update for ISPConfig 2. DO not install it on a ISPConfig 2 server.

Features of ISPConfig 3 compared to ISPConfig 2
    -----------------------------------------------------

- Support for virtual mail users
    - Support for virtual FTP Users
    - Support for multiple Servers
    - Support for splitting of services to multiple servers
    (Database, web, FTP and DNS can be on different servers).

Download
    -----------------------------------------------------

The software itself can be downloaded here:

http://www.ispconfig.org/downloads/ISPConfig-3.0.0.4-beta.tar.gz

ISPConfig 3.0.0.4 Beta is also available as ready to run VMWare virtual
    machine based on Debian Linux.

Download of the VMWare image:

http://www.ispconfig.org/downloads/ISPConfig_3.0.0.4_debian_etch.zip (approx. 520 MB)

When you run the vmware image the first time you will be asked to keep
    or create a MAC address. Select "keep", otherwise the networking wont work.

The root password of the VM is set to "ispconfig", the IP address is
    192.168.0.105 and has to be reconfigured in /etc/network/interfaces
    to meet your network requirements. The ISPconfig Interface login is:

http://192.168.0.105:8080/

User = admin
    Password = admin.

Changes:
    --------------------------------------

- Added bruteforge protection into login
    - Added reseller capabilities to all modules.
    - Added a server module for clients and a mail plugin.
    - Added a function to update all email addresses when a mail domain is changed.
    - Added apache directives field.
    - Added language file editor.

And many bugs have been fixed.

For a detailed cahngelog, please have a look at the SVN history with a SVN client of your choice:

svn://svn.ispconfig.org/ispconfig3/trunk/

Known Issues:

Please have a look at the bugtracker:

http://bugtracker.ispconfig.org

BUG Reporting

This is a Beta release and we invite everone to report bugs. Bugs can be either reported
    in the ispconfig forum (preferaböe to this forum thread) or you sign up for a account
    in the ISPConfig bugtracking system and sent a email to dev[at]ispconfig[dot]org with your
    bugtracker username and and the request to activate your user. Due to massive SPAM problems
    we had to dectivate the automatic activation of bugtracker accounts.

Supported Linux Distributions
    -----------------------------
    - Debian Etch (4.0).
    - Ubuntu 7.10

More Linux Distributions will be supported soon.

Installation
    --------------------

The installation instructions for ISPConfig on Debian and Ubuntu can be found
    in the text files INSTALL_DEBIAN.txt and INSTALL_UBUNTU.txt which are inside
    the ISPConfig-3.0.0.4-beta.tar.gz file.

2. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

I'm about to install an 'new' test server later this week, and WILL put this new beta on it.
    I'll report back a.s.a.p.

Thank you for this beta!

3. Leszek

Leszek Member

This version seems very fast.
    Here are some problems I had with it:

When I tried to export a language file I got an error:
    "Warning: file_put_contents(/usr/local/ispconfig/interface/web/temp/en.lng) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/web/admin/language_export.php on line 105".
    A little lower was this:"Exported language file to: /temp/en.lng" but the file never got exported (to /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/web/temp/en.lng nor /tmp/en.lng)

Second thing I found was some missing icons for changing pages (themes/grey/images/btn_left.png and themes/grey/images/btn_right.png).

Some buttons (for example in DB Sync.) don't have titles.

When I try to delete a user,group,server,db sync.,user I see <tmpl_var_name='delete_confirmation'> instead of a real confirmation.

When adding a user in DB Sync. I can see his password while typing instead of "*".

When adding something (user,domain etc.) and switching to another tab without fully filling the form gives an error message,which isn't very obvious.

It would also be nice to make headers like CP Users,Groups,Servers,DB Sync.,Language Editor active so that users wouldn't have to click on Edit User,Edit Group etc. to see a list of users,groups etc.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  4. till

Thanks, I added the bugs and feature requests to the bugtracker.

ISPConfig 3 uses Ajax.

5. Leszek

Leszek Member

You can tell.
    The impression of this version is very positive.
    Thanks for Your work.

6. ahoivik

ahoivik New Member

Question

I have a question about its implementation. When Ispconfig 3 stable is released, will it be possible to upgrade from 2.x, or will a reinstall be necessary?

Im looking forward to the release, but not sure if I am up for a reinstall.

btw you guys are doing a great job, much appreciated!

7. Leszek

Leszek Member

8. till

A reinstall will be nescessary as ISPConfig 3 has different system requirements.

ISPConfig 2
    ------------------------------------
    BIND DNS Server
    Postfix or Sendmail with system Users
    Courier or Dovecot or several other pop3 and imap deamons with system users
    proftpd or vsftpd with system users
    Procmail as LDA

ISPConfig 3
    -------------------------------
    MyDNS DNS Server
    Postfix virtual Users
    Courier Virtual Users
    pureftpd with virtual Users
    Maildrop as LDA

But there is no need to upgrade to ISPConfig 3 as the development of ISPConfig 2 will net be stopped with the release of ISPConfig 3 final.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  9. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

Hi Till,

Later this year i plan to setup a testserver as well.
    I am a very satisfied ISPConfig 2 user and i hope we can make ISPConfig 3 even better! Thanks for your work so far.

10. Snowman

Snowman Member

only the bests

great improvement, totaly happy satisfied user :)
    keep this great work, until stable release ..

ps : is it final count of words in web interface ? i want to start translation :)

11. till

No, the language files are not complete yet, a bunch of error messages is still missing. It is better to wait with translations for the next beta release, I will try to complete the english language files until then.

12. Snowman

Snowman Member

I am not from England or USA but i can help with english translation. No probl.
    Just send PM or reply:)

13. gjcomputer

gjcomputer New Member

nice work gents. im gonna toss this on my test server tonight and ill report findings

14. the_spy

the_spy New Member

do you have a tutorial for the "perfect setup" on Debian etch for a ISPConfig 3 server ? (for mydns, pureftpd, maildrop, etc.. which are different than ISPConfig 2)

Thanks

15. gjcomputer

gjcomputer New Member

its actually in a text file if you download and extract from the op

also, till, can you caps the "city" to "City" under ->system->users
    to match the rest of the titles?

16. bolero

bolero New Member

Why not make some software, like DNS, optional? When I installed ISPConfig 2I had to install Bind just to fulfill the requirement, although I didn't intend to use it.
    Similar for the very tight requirement on certain software for IMAP and FTP. AFAIK dovecot and vsftpd can also support virtual users. I would prefer being able to use these instead of what you chose. A web interface should be a web interface and not a strict determinator for the hosting platform. Is there a chance you support these as well? As information: pureftpd and courier are both *not* available as distribution packages in at least one of the major commercial distributions: RHEL.

17. Bobonov

Bobonov New Member

MyDNS DNS Server
    Postfix virtual Users
    Courier Virtual Users
    pureftpd with virtual Users
    Maildrop as LDA

Just a short question... is this the final list for supported software or it will be expanded with some other as well?

I am asking this because it seem that the current ubuntu (hardy 8.04) does not support any more mydns, at least there is no package avail even if in debian repository is still there.
    Going to the mydns website I saw that it seem that is not developed any more, or at least is changed in mydns-ng. Is not very clear. On the website there is nothing, last update was in 2006 but in user mailing list there is a post about an updated version in which is more or less clear that it is evolved mydns-ng.

Probably ispconfig does not need any change in order to support mydns-ng (if it is only a fllowup develop on mydns) but anyway i still have the same problem, no package for hardy for both mydns and mydns-ng

18. till

Are you sure that you enabled all ubuntu repositories? I know that mydns is available in Ubuntu 7.10, but I did not install it on 8.04 yet. If mydns-ng is 100% compatible with mydns, it should work, but I did not test it yet.

If you dont find a package, you will be able to most likely compile it.

19. Bobonov

Bobonov New Member

As you can see no package for hardy
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=all&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=mydns
    In debian repository is still there.
    I saw about mydns-ng but (beside compiling it) it is quite new and, as far as I know, no distribution support it yet.
    So it is a bit strange to rely on a piece of software which is not maintained any more or on another piece which is still not included in any distribution.
    I was already planing to make the package on my own, but compiling and making package it is not exactly for everyone.
    Anyway I went on in the installation without problem, it didn't stop complain for mydns missing, but at the end it tried to restart it.
    Now I have a couple of notice:
    even if mydns is not avail ispconfig still present me the dns part, but ispconfig know it is not avail (under monitor it is offline), I think it should at least disable the part of the interface regarding offline service.
    Another question is: next beta/rc will have an upgrade script or manual procedure for upgrade?
    Another think that can be useful is a "fix configuration" script, which will only fix services configuration files, without touching database tables.
    This come very handy in case some configuration file are overwrite by a software upgrade.
    P.S.
    About mydns I posted a couple of question in ubuntu forums to see if anyone know why there is no package.

Addendum:
    2 minutes after this post I saw that someone answered to my question about the package
    https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mydns/+question/33089

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  20. till

This Beta has already a update script, it is called update.php and it is in the same folder then the install.php script.

Download the latest RElease as tar.gz or from SVN and then run the update.php script to update your installation.

run the update.php script

ISPConfig 3 is a very modular software, the interface supports any DNS server, it is just nescessary to write a plugin which creates the config files for the specific DNS server.

At the moment, we support only mydns as this dns server does not need any config files at all and it works right out of the database. As far as I know, there are no known problems with mydns, so there is no problem if you use it. We will see if mydns-ng will pick up the development and gets included in debian and ubuntu.