ISPCONFIG 3.0.5.4p5 and backup website

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by dodofox, Feb 27, 2015.

1. dodofox

dodofox New Member

Hi, I have multiserver setup. 5 servers (one web, one mail, one db, and two dns) with Apache2, postfix and mysql.

When I set an automatic backup in "SITE TAB", It backup ONLY website and not mysql DB.
    When a client go to backup tab, It can only restore website. Please help me. Thnaks.

2. cbj4074

cbj4074 Member

This behavior is by design. The "Backup" feature is intended to backup the filesystem only. It is beyond the scope of ISPConfig to implement some type of atomic backup/restore process that handles both the filesystem and one or more databases. What if you were using a different database, such as postgreSQL? ISPConfig cannot possibly account for all of the variables involved.

I recommend that you create a cron job that calls the "mysqldump" executable and exports the contents of the user's database(s) to the "private" directory within his website-home directory on a scheduled basis. The credentials that are passed in the arguments to "mysqldump" will ensure that only the database(s) to which the web-user in question has access are included in the dump file.

With this approach, the SQL dump files will be included in the ISPConfig Backup, in which case your client will be able to restore them to the filesystem as needed. Once the dump files are restored to the filesystem, your client will be able to import the dump files by whatever means is available to him. If he has access to a tool such as phpMyAdmin, he can download the dump file to his local computer and then re-upload it using PMA. Better yet, if he has some type of shell access, he can use the "mysql" executable directly to import the backup dump files.

3. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

There is no need for a cron-job calling mysqldump. ISPConfig backups the websites on the web-server and the databases on the db-server during cron_daily.

4. cbj4074

cbj4074 Member

Really? To what location on disk does ISPConfig write the database backups?

Also, to be clear, does ISPConfig backup the database(s) for a given website only when a backup interval is specified for the website?

Further, does ISPConfig backup the database(s) regardless of their type (e.g., MySQL vs. postgreSQL)?

And, finally, does ISPConfig restore the database(s) automatically when the backup is restored?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  5. florian030

If you enable backups for the website, ispconfig also backups the databaseses linked to the site. You can restore the website and / or the database.

6. dodofox

dodofox New Member

Yes, you are right. I found db backup on DB SERVER. But in this way my client are unable to restore because they don't have access to /var/backup on db server

7. florian030

Have you tried it? The plugins are restored with a plugin on your db-server.

8. brainsys

brainsys Member

I have a problem with backup. All my Wordpress sites had their databases saved. So did the phpBB forum sites. However, sites that had BOTH a WP & phpBB database only had the phpBB database saved. Is backup limited to one database per website?

9. florian030

Are the databases connected to the web-domain?

10. brainsys

brainsys Member

Yes they are. Their names are of the form of:
    c1_name_forumx
    c1_name_wpx
    Where name is a munged version of the domain name (without the .com). They share the same DB user c1_name
    In ever other respect they are identical to databases on other domains which back up correctly. I was wondering if the similarity in name on one account means the script may miss the second database or they see only one user and assume one database? It is forum3 (alphabetically higher = the first) that gets backed up in preference.
    Changing the name/user format would break other scripts

11. florian030

Did you check the values for website for eache database? This has nothing to do with the db-names.

12. brainsys

brainsys Member

Thank you for your swift response. What do you mean by values? Both databases are connected with the same domain in the ISPConfig database listing.

13. florian030

I didn´t have such problems. Can you verify the db-settings in phpmyadmin? run SELECT * FROM web_database WHERE backup_interval != 'none' AND backup_interval != ''"
    This query displays all databases which will be backuped.

14. brainsys

brainsys Member

Yes they are both listed there for weekly backup. Identical records except for the database id and the database name suffix of course. The backuped database is listed ahead of the other.
    I have also checked the /var/backup directory on both servers. Apart from a minutes difference in the backup time the _wpx database is missing on both.
    Both backup ok on my own mysqldump script to another place.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  15. minttux

minttux Member

when daily schedule run? when i turn on daily backup what time should i check to generate it?

16. Sudhir Gandotra

Sudhir Gandotra New Member

How do I enable it ?
    I am using version 3.1.5.4p5 and want to upgrade it to a new server with version 3.1.5

17. florian030

upgrade to 3.1, make sure, that the database is connected to the website and enable backups in the backup-tab for the website

18. Sudhir Gandotra

Sudhir Gandotra New Member

I am sorry, I do not see the backup-tab anywhere in ISPConfig.
    What am I missing please ?

19. Tuumke

Tuumke Active Member

Sites > Open site (click on domain) > Backup tab?