Ispconfig 3.0 doesn't start (mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server)

Discussion in 'General' started by FabioIamp, May 26, 2021.

1. FabioIamp

FabioIamp New Member

Hello,
    My o.s. is Debian 10.
    I upgraded ispconfig 3.2 after a first installation that stopped for a problem of missing php curl.
    Unfortunately Ispconfig didn't start because of a server internal error. By examining the error log of Apache, I have the following error:
    [fcgid:warn] [pid 13688:tid 140610088552192] (104)Connection reset by peer: [client 93.35.219.230:23672] mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server
    [core:error] [pid 13688:tid 140610088552192] [client 93.35.219.230:23672] End of script output before headers: index.php
    Please help me
    Regards
    Fabio

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

So to clarify, this is a new installation you are setting up, with no existing data? In that case I'd probably just drop the ispconfig database, remove /usr/local/ispconfig/, and try installing again. Maybe run through the perfect server guide and ensure you have everything installed and configured as needed, too.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  3. FabioIamp

FabioIamp New Member

Thank you for you answer. There were some data of a previous ispconfig version (Debian was upgraded to 10 from 7). Then in the case couldn't I just drop the ispconfig database? I have a backup of the ispconfig db. May I proceed to a new installation?

4. FabioIamp

FabioIamp New Member

I add that the syslog logfile signals this as error
    Wrapper /var/www/php-fcgi-scripts/web30/.php-fcgi-starter cannot be accessed: (2)No such file or directory

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Your problem is not related to the ISPConfig database at all, so do not drop it, you won't be able to recover or reinstall ISPConfig without losing all sites etc.

The process to upgrade Debian is:

1) Upgrade Debian by using dist upgrade.
    2) Fo trough the Debian perfect server guide and run each apt-get install command from that guide to install missing packages.
    3) Do an ISPConfig update.

The ISPConfig update must be done as the last step, as it will configure your system for the new software versions.

6. FabioIamp

FabioIamp New Member

Hello, I followed your steps before getting this error. I did the upgrade as last passage (the first two were completed) after installation of perfect Debian server

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  7. Jesse Norell

This error is for an individual website, don't worry about it at this point. (You'll need to get apache to run to access the ISPConfig interface, and once you have done that, go to Tools > Resync and resync websites ... or resync everything, maybe).

I'd run through the guide at least a second time and ensure everything is installed, and then run "ispconfig_update.sh --force" and let it rename any conf-custom templates (if found), then let it reconfigure services and watch for any errors. After that see if apache is running or not, and if you can access the ISPConfig interface. You'll probably need to clear cookies/cache in your browser if you were previously using an old version of ISPConfig.

8. FabioIamp

FabioIamp New Member

Thanks for your answer. I'll follow your suggestions

9. FabioIamp

FabioIamp New Member

hello, maybe I'd have to start a new thread. But I'm really stressed about that. I hope in your help. Ispconfig started. All seemed ok. But I was suddenly frozen while I was seeing ispconfig options. After that I saw that Apache stopped. I restarted it but Ispconfig was no more working with https://servername:8080. What can I do? Help me, please

10. FabioIamp

FabioIamp New Member

In the meantime I manually restarted it
    /etc/init.d/ispconfig_server start|stop|restart
    In any case I can't see the reason of this sudden ispconfig stopping

11. Jesse Norell

Ie. you restarted apache? And did it keep running?
    I have no idea what that file is, it doesn't exist in any system I've ever worked with.
    If apache won't run, look in the error.log to see why.

12. till

There is no such script on any ISPConfig 3 server. But there was such a script in the old ISPConfig 2 era 10+ years ago. So you can not have such a script on an ISPConfig 3 system.

13. FabioIamp

FabioIamp New Member

My colleague told me of a manual restarting this way. I'll deepen this subject tomorrow. Thank you for your support

14. till

ISPConfig is not a daemon, so you can't and you don't need to restart it. The ISPConfig UI is just a virtual host on the webserver, so if you want to restart it, then restart the webserver.

15. FabioIamp

FabioIamp New Member

Hello, thanks for your support. Supported by your opinion, I was thinking to resync ispconfig with the sites and maybe other. Is that a risky activity? Need I to take some precautions? Thanks again.

16. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

When Apache crashes, run
    Code:
    systemctl status apache2
    to find out why and share it in this thread.

17. FabioIamp

FabioIamp New Member

Hello, thanks for your answer. Problem apparently solved, Ispconfig seems stable now also if I have to face a lot of problems because of this upgrade from Debian 7 to Debian 10 (for instance phpmyadmin and roundcube not starting also if correctly installed; status return error 403).