ISPConfig 3.1.2, returning AOL and Hotmail delivery problems

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by schmidtedv, Mar 7, 2017.

1. schmidtedv

schmidtedv Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi there,
    it's a long time ago, I needed help (your tutorials are too good), but now I cannot get rid of a big Problem. No matter what I do, our mailserver IP gets blocked over and over again by Hotmail and AOL. I got a server from Hetzner and followed the tutorial "perfect-server-ubuntu-16.04-with-apache-php-myqsl-pureftpd-bind-postfix-doveot-and-ispconfig". IPv4 and IPv6 are both in use and Reverse-DNS for both is set as "mail.serverdomain.de". My config so far seem to be ok - for me (put it in as attachement).

I've put on a real Wildcard-SSL-cert and use it in dovecot/postfix. I've put on DKIM with default-selector for every maildomain as follows:

Code:
    for serverdomain = "default._domainkey.serverdomain.de. 3600 TXT v=DKIM;t=s;p=..."
    for maildomain1 = "default._domainkey.maildomain1.de. 3600 TXT v=DKIM;t=s;p=..."
    Then, because I use my provider as DNS/Nameserver, I have put on records for every domain (serverdomain, maildomain1, ...) as follows:

Code:
    serverdomain.de A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    serverdomain.de AAAA xxx:xxx:xxx:xxx
    serverdomain.de TXT v=spf1 mx a ip4:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ip6:xxx:xxx:xxx:xxx ~all
    default._domainkey.serverdomain.de TXT v=DKIM1; t=s; p=...
    _dmarc.serverdomain.de TXT v=DMARC1; p=none; rua=mailto:[email protected]; ruf=mailto:[email protected]; adkim=s; aspf=s; pct=100; rf=afrf
    10 mail.serverdomain.de MX xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    mail.serverdomain.de AAAA xxx:xxx:xxx:xxx

Everything looks ok to me and tests by mxtoolbox.com and other run well. However, there are bot-mailings going on, just using old aliases or existing mailadresses from my server (with different IPs of course), that get blocked by AOL users and so our server IP right now is blocked all the time (shouldn't be possible, but I guess, maybe the adress-blockings by AOL users are influencing AOLs RBL block behavior ?). Any idea what I could change or maybe even correct in my config or what I could do to get this working again? My contact with the postmaster from AOL doesn't do anything exept getting the message that we are blocked.

Every mail is returned as follows:
    Code:
    host mailin-04.mx.aol.com[152.163.0.100] refused to talk to
        me: 554- (RTR:BL)  https://postmaster.aol.com/error-codes#554rtrbl 554
    Hotmail is even worse...you don't get any mail back.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  2. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

mail.serverdomain.de MX xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

A mx-record points to a fqdn.

you need A and AAAA records for mail.serverdomain.de and set the reverse-records in the hetzner robot.

did you set a spf-record, too?

3. schmidtedv

Hi Florian,
    mail.serverdomain.de has an A and an AAAA record and is the reverse-record for the server, but the spf-record is put in for serverdomain.de, not for mail.serverdomain.de ...that's ok, or am I doing it wrong?

4. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

your spf-record is v=spf1 mx a ip4:... ip6:... ~all
    if you have only one server, you change this to v=spf1 mx ~all (as long as you define a mx-record for every domain)

5. schmidtedv

ok, I have changed the spf to "v=spf1 a mx ~all". I have a php-script sending mails to our customers on another IP. The A-Record Points to this IP, so I guess, I would have to use the "a" in the SPF-Record, too, am I right?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017