Ispconfig 3.1 beta 2?

Discussion in 'General' started by budgierless, Jun 21, 2016.

1. budgierless

budgierless Member HowtoForge Supporter

hi,

Will their be a compiled version of beta 2 before the stable release?

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Development is done in gitlab, so any release (such as beta2) will likely be tagged, and you can download the .zip or .tar.gz for any tagged release right from gitlab (or wget the same url). That said, I don't see a beta1 tag offhand :) But you can get a url to download any commit so even without a tag, it's just a matter of copying the url for the correct commit number.

3. budgierless

Yes but this is not good, the tags should outlined as i have seen many users download older beta versions and asking about fixes which have already been corrected but the wrong source was used. added the tags would help avoid problems downloading wrong versions, especially as it dose not seem like to we will get a 3.1 stable release any time soon.

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

We're probably "arguing" towards the same end, but tagging a beta2 release would help with getting consistent "beta2" installs, but it won't help with getting the latest bugfixes; that's actually exactly the problem you mention, where things are fixed in git, but weren't at the time beta1 was put out. There is a stable-3.1 branch with the latest fixes, and you can always get it from the download links at https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/tree/stable-3.1 ... of course along with the latest fixes, it always has the latest bugs in it, too :).

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

All tagged versions are available as download from www.ispconfig.org and not GIT. See release notes of a released ISPConfig version as an example http://www.ispconfig.org/blog/ispconfig-3-1-beta-released-testing/

So the Beta 1 download is this:

http://www.ispconfig.org/downloads/ISPConfig-3.1b1.tar.gz

and never a link to the git server. There are no other BETA versions, so your claim that there were newer and older betas is simply not true as we haven't released any other beta versions.

We will release a beta 2 when we think that the code base is ready for it and then this release will be available at www.ispconfig.org and ONLY at www.ispconfig.org and not at git.ispconfig.org and it will show version number 3.1b2 when you click on the help module in iSPConfig.

You blame us for doing OpenSource development and making the GIT server accessible from outside? Shall I add a password to prevent that your customers download untested developer code from our servers?

If you or your customers download code from GIT, then you / they request to get the latest NON RELEASED and therefore also NOT TAGGED code which contains the latest and not finally tested commits.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I've committed now a patch to the stable branch that removes the version information from git versions, so code downloaded from GIT can not be mixed up anymore with released code. I hope this solves the problem with clients that mix up git and released versions.

7. budgierless

@till you guys so awesome, thanks for all your hard work and development, I am happy with the system, but as i said noted that in a few posts i had seen you had to keep repeating yourself to users about bugs already fixed and they needing to update their isp3.1 to the current build, so i hope this change will make it better for you by saving time with the forum, so you can spend more time helping users with issues that are not resolved yet. well done till and the rest of the team. ;)

till likes this.