ispconfig 3.1 client website redirects to default debian page

Discussion in 'General' started by srinivas1358, Aug 7, 2019.

1. srinivas1358

srinivas1358 New Member

I am new to ISPconfig and in general to hosting configuration. Please excuse my terminology. I have so far been able to successfully create subdomain vhosts and can test if the ip address in the domain page points to the primary server ip address. We now have 2 servers in a cluster, a primary and a slave. The slave is a sync of the primary. when i create a domain and point the ipv4 address in the domain page to the primary, I see the correct website and its contents. But when I have a * in the ip, as we want the slave to show the content in case of primary server failure, I see the default debian page.
    in my windows hosts file when i do the following :
    1. if i point the website to the primary server ip, - i see a default website
    2. if i point the website to the slave server ip - i see the correct website content.

All the websites for now are pointing to the primary server ip address. Could someone help me where i need to look at or what changes i need to do so that the cluster works fine and the slave picks up in case of primary server failure.

thanks

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Firstly, check whether you have followed the respective tutorial correctly.

3. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Do you mean in the Website settings IP Address field? There you must have the same setting for all websites, either * for all or the IP-address for all. Otherwise the wrong website is shown.

4. srinivas1358

srinivas1358 New Member

@Taleman Is it mandatory to have all the websites to show either * or IP-address ? And, is this setting for all websites (all clients) in ISPconfig or just all the websites of a client?

@ahrasis we followed the tutorial

5. Taleman

That field can not be left empty, so either setting must be there.
    What I wrote means you can have whatever setting, but it must be the same for all websites. It does matter which client owns the websites.

ahrasis likes this.
  6. srinivas1358

srinivas1358 New Member

Thank you for the reply. What i meant by all clients.: For eg. we have 10 clients, and each client has 3 websites. Should the * in the IP-address be the same across the entire system (all clients all websites) or can be it be different settings for different clients ( and same config for all sites for that client )

7. Taleman

Yes. No.

8. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

One exception would be if a client had their own ip address, which all their sites used, and no other clients used, then you could set that client's sites to their ip, and all other sites on the server could be set to *.

But if your trying to setup mirrored web servers so they are both live/online, I think your only option is to use *.

9. srinivas1358

srinivas1358 New Member