ISPConfig 3.1 - min. required PHP version

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by till, Dec 7, 2015.

1. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

We plan to raise the min. required PHP version for the ISPConfig UI and server part from PHP 5.2 to PHP 5.3 with the ISPConfig 3.1 release. This allows us to clean up the code and remove workarounds for PHP 5.2. PHP 5.3 is available for the still supported Centos 6 and Ubunru LTS versions, so I don't see any problem here to raise the min. version.

If you have any comments on why we can't raise the PHP min version to 5.3, then please let me know.

Nemis likes this.
  2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Looks like debian 5 had php 5.2 as well. Not that my "vote" counts for much, and I have no legacy systems to maintain here, but dropping support for very dated systems sounds like a perfectly acceptable (even good) thing.

3. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

i would _never_ run debian lenny on a production server. debian lenny was replaced in 2012 with squeeze. If someone really wants to stay with such an outdated os:
    use dotdeb to get php5.x
    compile your own php
    stay with 3.0.5.4

4. brody182

brody182 Member

php 5.4 should be the minimum.

5. florian030

5.4 as a minimum won´t work - see #1 ;)

6. brody182

brody182 Member

you should look at the current OS distributions today, centOS 7, Debian 8, etc. php 5.4 is the minimum requirement. Nobody in their right mind will install an outdated OS from 3 years go. IF they want php 5.2, 5.3 They should sitck with ispconfig 3.0

7. brody182

brody182 Member

you have to move forward not backwards

8. till

Nobody will install an old OS on a new server, but there are plenty of installs on current servers and e.g. CentOS 6 is still supported with security updates by CentOS, so it is not outdated yet and it comes with PHP 5.2 by default and there is an option to install 5.3, so switching to 5.4 will break a lot of old installations and therefore, we can't switch to 5.4 yet.

9. rst

rst New Member HowtoForge Supporter

I (partially) agree with brody182. It is very noble that you as ISPConfig developers still try to support such old PHP versions, but this makes quite some stuff more difficult to do. Also take in mind that official PHP support for even 5.4 has already ended.

I think making new features only available for newer PHP versions would be reasonable. People who don't wish to update their PHP versions, can continue running on their current ISPConfig version.

Do you happen to have any statistics available on server configurations using ISPConfig? That could make this discussion a bit less theoretical...

10. florian030

Debian 6 comes with 5.3.3

We are NOT talkinig about min. PHP 5.4 or 5.5 - the question is (was): anyone really needs 5.2

11. Drakia

Drakia New Member

Just a heads up, it looks like the following files break PHP 5.3 support (PHP 5.3 doesn't support accessing an array directly from the return value of a function):
    (Line numbers are based on the stable-3.1 branch)
    ./server/plugins-available/mail_plugin.inc.php (Lines 209 and 458)
    ./interface/web/sites/database_quota_stats.php (Lines 60 and 76)
    ./server/plugins-available/mongo_clientdb_plugin.inc.php (Line 263)

The mail_plugin.inc.php error actually caused the updater to fail halfway through.

12. till

Thank you for your findings. I'll check that.

13. ethraza

ethraza New Member

Hi.
    Today I tryed to update my ISPConfig 3.0.5.4p9 on an Ubuntu 10.04.4 (2 still running that will probably never be updated), and got this: ISPConfig requieres PHP 5.3.3.
    ~~~
    # php --version
    PHP 5.3.2-1ubuntu4.30 with Suhosin-Patch (cli) (built: Apr 17 2015 15:01:29)
    Copyright (c) 1997-2009 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2010 Zend Technologies
    ~~~
    There is something I can do to update it or the .3 is really needed?

14. till

You can try to comment out the check in the installer to see if it works. If it does not work, then restre the backup that the installer can create from /var/backup/

15. ethraza

ethraza New Member

I just updated it. It seens to be working as expected.
    Please consider switch that "die" for a warning and a question asking if we want to continue anyway.
    Thank you.

16. concept21

concept21 Active Member

php 5.3.3 MUST be the dead bottom line!!!
    php SSL BREAKS from php 5.3.0 to php 5.3.2!!! :eek:

17. Ryan Roy

Ryan Roy New Member

Hello Till
    my joomla version need 5.6, how do i upgrade it

18. till

@Ryan Roy: That's not related to this thread. This thread is about min. PHP versions that ISPConfig requires and not about Joomla. If you need another PHP version beside the default version of your OS, then you can install that as additional PHP version.

19. concept21

concept21 Active Member

Do we need a more aggressive Mysql version? I want more new features.
    My OS is Ubuntu 16.04.3 with Mysql 5.7.19 and php 7.0 :cool:

Let me conclude php 7.0 - fast, fast and fast!

20. till

1) This thread is about PHP and not MySQL.
    2) The MySQL version that ships with a specific Linux Distribution is selected by the Linux Distribution, that's not related to ISPConfig at all. If you want to install a newer MySQL or MariaDB version on your server than the one provided by the OS, then you are free to do that.