ISPConfig 3.2.5, Postfix & port 587 (submission)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jnewman67, Jul 31, 2021.

1. jnewman67

jnewman67 Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

I had to quickly migrate 300 email users and their varied domains to a test ISPConfig 3.2.5 server yesterday that I had already set up. The old server (and therefore all the clients in the field) were configured to use ports 110 and 587, no SSL (it was an OLD server). 587 was used as the workaround for ISPs that were blocking port 25 usage as a way of preventing spam proliferation.
    Annoyingly, as I got email users recreated and mail started flowing, I didn't notice that clients weren't able to send. For the sake of compatibility, it would be nice if the Perfect Server instructions included a reference to uncommentating 1 line in master.cf to enable port 587 usage, or have it enabled by default. After fielding a few complaints about not being able to send, and finally realizing I was having to change the port numbers in Outlook to get it to work, I found the fix on the server, reloaded Postfix, and the phone calls stopped.
    If there's an argument that needed to back up the suggestion, it's backward compatible. If the argument is "you should be using SSL" (I agree), then at least a reference to how to enable it in the instructions would be nice, just as a reminder for those that don't have to think about that type of thing that often.
    In my case, it was necessary to get the server operational ASAP, without a lot of client fiddling - I can implement SSL certs and move them to that when the crunch is over. As it turned out, ISPConfig stepped up and filled the void pretty well - there were some OS deficiencies, but that I can overcome with a newer OS/server when things settle down.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The ISPConfig autoinstaller and the Ubuntu and Debian guides all enable port 587. You probably use CentOS which does not enable this port by default.

3. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I only know that everyone need port 25 to run a mail server properly (without using any relay) and I know not of it will be working properly if this port 25 is closed by ISP. And as confirmed by @till above, PST and ISPConfig official autoinstaller all will enable port 587.

4. jnewman67

jnewman67 Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Yes, CentOS.
    To be clear, ISPConfig doesnt set this setting a particular way for any OS, it just uses that flavor's default, and CentOS is different by default (off) than the others (on)?
    Thanks.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Correct, that's not a setting managed by ISPConfig. But the Debian and Ubuntu guides contain instructions to enable that port while the centOS guide does not contain such info, I'll add it to the CentOS guide too.