ispconfig-3 all user passwords changed: including admin

Discussion in 'General' started by Djamu, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Djamu

Djamu New Member

Today I found out that I as unable to login with both the admin and my regular user account onto an ispconfig-3 installation

I use a password manager ( keepass ) so it's definitely not a case of forgotten password ( 20 character random pass ), I was able to reset it but I still wonder how this is possible....
    I checked some logs, but couldn't find anything suspicious
    The only thing that changed where a couple of system updates.

Last time I logged in > I tried to add a CP user ( which didn't work as expected, and was removed > I thought I could use it to add an SSH user :rolleyes: )

So, what's was going on 1.Ispconfig bug ? 2.package bug? 3.SQL inject ?

It's ( hopefully ) not a critical issue, I'm just curious
    Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Unlikely that its a ispconfig bug as this would have been discovered already before. Possible that its a problem with a mysql system update. To me it looks more as if the mysql password for ispconfig is wrong as this will cause a login error too when ispconfig is not able to validate the user in the mysql db. Please check that you are able to login to mysql with the username and password in /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/config.inc.php

3. Djamu

Djamu New Member

Thanks Till for the followup...
    I am able to login using the credentials in /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/config.inc.php ( file didn't change ), so I quess that means I can rule out a mysql update problem ( besides that it would be very unlikely that it would only affect 2 users on 1 database )...

sql inject is unlikely too ( or not ? ).

In the past I did notice that the password strength bar behaves erratically when pasting large passwords in there ( +20 characters ).
    Is there any known maximum password length ? Because in that case it might indeed be a bug.

While where at the topic, is there a way to add a chrooted ssh user from within the CP ? ( I'd like to give some users ssh access to their ftp root ) and jailkit doesn't seem to work -users are able to escape their jail- ...

Thanks for your time

Jan

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  4. Djamu

Djamu New Member

-deleted double post -

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Ok. If I read your post correctly, then you changed the passwords of these two users and you were not able to login with the new passwords the next time. This does not mean that the passwords have ben changed by aything malicious, there was just a encoding problem that accured on some system with special characters in passwords, this has been fixed already and will be released with ispconfig 3.0.2.

To reset the password, login to mysql and change it in the sys_user table. You can use md5 as encryption method.

6. Djamu

Djamu New Member

No, I did not change any passwords from the existing users, and no special characters either. -I was just wondering if it was related to too long passwords-

I was already able to fix to issue as mentioned in my first post, and I am still trying to figure out what caused this weird issue.

Maybe someone can point me to a specific log entry for the CP password changes ?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010