ISPConfig 3, Bind, and Other Servers

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jon, Jan 19, 2010.

1. jon

jon Member

I've recently started moving to ISPConfig 3 from another hosting control panel. My DNS servers are not only physically separate but are running Bind. I will need to keep them as such, as they handle a lost more than just hosting for us.

I would love for customers to be able to handle DNS via ISPConfig, but I'm not sure how that would work out. Currently the hosting machine has my two main DNS servers as it's DNS servers, however I'm not sure of the best way to handle things from there as ISPConfig wont be able (or will it?) to update the Bind servers.

One thought I've had is simply telling hosting customers on that machine to use ISPConfig's DNS server rather than my two main DNS server, although I'd really like to keep things together.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig can only manage DNS servers where its installed on and it need exclusive access to the daemons that it shall manage (currently ispconfig requires also mydns and not bind, bind support will be added with ispconfig 3.0.2). This means you can not use ispconfig on your existing bind servers without removing all dens zones first and entering them again in ispconfig.

So I guess the best solution is to migrate your users step by step and let them use the ispconfig dns servers for new domains.

3. jon

jon Member

Good enough for me, thanks. I can (for now) just manually add DNS entries since we mostly manage DNS for customers anyway.

I'll try out Bind in 3.0.2 when it's available.