ISPConfig 3 Danymic DNS (DDNS) Module

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by mhofer, Nov 12, 2021.

1. mhofer

mhofer New Member

Hello

I have created a ddns module for ISPConfig 3 and published it on github:
    https://github.com/mhofer117/ispconfig-ddns-module

Unlike the other threads with scripts using the remote api, this one will:
    - Integrate into the existing DNS menu of ISPConfig 3
    - Not require a remote-api user
    - Allow clients, resellers and admins to create update tokens
    - Perform updates using a simple URL and the generated token, compatible with many existing consumer solutions without manual cron scripts
    - Allow restricting a token to individual zones / records / record types
    - Allow updating A (IPv4) or AAAA (IPv6)

In Addition, the token endpoint implements the same authentication rate-limiting as the normal login process.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Regards

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    pzajda, webguyz, atle and 3 others like this.
  2. mhofer

mhofer New Member

Here are some Screenshots
    Overview:
    upload_2021-11-12_10-38-25.png
    New/Edit token:
    upload_2021-11-12_10-40-31.png
    Update URLs:
    upload_2021-11-12_10-42-53.png

Ignacio Garcia and ahrasis like this.
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Looks really nice! I moved the post to the ISPconfig addons forum, so it can be found easier. And I'll add a link on the ISPConfig website.

mhofer likes this.
  4. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Nice module. Thank you.

mhofer likes this.
  5. Wow! Thanks so much for your addon! Can't wait to try it

6. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Would you be interested in merging this to the main project, so all users can potentially benefit?

atle likes this.
  7. mhofer

mhofer New Member

Sure, if this is desired.
    However there are some things that will need some attention:
    - On ports other than 443/80, like the default ISPConfig port 8080, it doesnt work with some vendors, namely AVM / FRITZ!Boxes
    - Putting ISPConfig behind a reverse proxy can also lead to issues if not set up correctly (trusting X-Forwarded-For headers) and is itself a security concern.
    I thought about providing a proxy script that can be put on any vhost and will communicate with the module. But this will require some config values to be secure and seamless which I would have just added into a config file. If this is integrated there would probably need to be a config interface for this?
    What other steps would be required from my side to merge this module into the main project?

8. Th0m

Good question. The best solution would be something working out of the box, ofcourse. Otherwise, keeping it as a separate module is better. Not sure how we can resolve this easily.

Depends on the current code, haven't looked into it yet.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  9. mrbcast

mrbcast New Member

Hey guys,
    This may seem like a totally stupid question, but I have been using dyndns services for a few years. I have about three remote computers out there that I need to be able to get to without remote services attached. I use the dyndns services for this purpose. That being said I came across the dynamic dns module for ispconfig3 and I am a little confused. Is it setup to use to allow ispconfig to be run on a dynamic ip or is it to allow you to basically run a dynamic dns for what I am needing with ispconfig3? I just don't understand the terminology well enough on dns to understand clearly. If it isn't for what I am needing can you recommend any procedures to allow this? Spending $55 a year for these services isn't terrible, but I would like to do it "in-house" if it would save a little money and time. Thanks so much for any advice and insight you can offer.

10. tweyhr3156

tweyhr3156 New Member

Hello,
    a great module. It's going great for me so far!
    Can you recommend a client for Windows that is compatible with the module?
    I haven't found one yet :-(

11. Th0m

tweyhr3156 and ahrasis like this.