ISPConfig 3 Internal Web Cluster Proxy Permissions?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by FalkoL, Oct 3, 2013.

1. FalkoL

FalkoL New Member

Hello Falko Hello Tim,

it has been a long time since I last posted here, normally find everything in the great resources you guys have created. If been using ISPConfig 3 for years now and feel comfortable with it. Such a great piece of software. Thank you guys so much for creating it and supporting it.

To my current problem, I got a client needing a flexible scalable system to handle lot of web volume across multiple server across multiple locations.
    So I used ISPConfig 3 in a multiserver + multivirtualserver setup with 2 dedicated GLusterFS file storage + MySQL servers (DONE) and (for now) one OpenVZ hardware node that has Reverse Proxy and that doubles as FTP. As well as VZ containers running one Mail with public IP, multiple copies of APP servers with public IPs, and where my problem really is multiple webservers with private IPs.
    The Mail & APP server I have figured out my issue is with how to configure the ReverseProxy and Webservers.
    The ReverseProxy is suppose to deliver all static files on connect and push all dynamic file request back to the internal web server to process.

My current setup:
    OpenVZ HW node has Nginx + PureFTP installed it has a public ip
    I have setup a site in ISPconfig on HW node with the correct domain
    I have then added all the files for the website to the Nginx server
    Create mounts for all the VZ Apache Webserver to share the same files
    Create a new site on web1.
    Now web1 example.com has a different user (web3 instead of 2) then example.com on the nginx server.
    What is logically just for my current situation somewhat unpractical.

Essentially I need some input, I'm stuck on this and can't think of a way around it. Has anybody done anything like this before, I have been searching for weeks for a solution?

While I was writing this post I realized maybe what I could do is:
    Have one copy of the site on the nginx proxy just static files
    Create web2 to X make each of them a mirror of web1 so all have the same users and share a full copy of the site between the apache servers ??

If you have reached this point of my way too long post. Thank you for reading :)

Cheers FalkoL

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig has amirroring function (System > Server services > Is mirror of server). This function intructs ispconfig slave instances to do the same action on the slave that is done on the "master" of this mirrror (this "master" does not has to be the master / interface server, it can be any server of your cluster).

There is another function "Connect userid to webid) which instructs ispconfig to use website ID as basis for the uid of the linux user instead of the next free uid.

Thee tow functions combined are used to create mirror setups with 2 or more servers to ensure that the websites are created identically on all servers with the same usernames and uid's.

3. FalkoL

FalkoL New Member

Thank you Till.

I got most of it running. However I'm having issue with the shared GlusterFS system, I've been search for the past few days to find an answer so I have to ask for your wisdom again.

The website is massive so we got an storage server dedicated just for the files.
    I created a GlusterFS volume and connected it to the OpenVZ Node and then bind mount it to the VZ Containers. What works fine I can access all files.

Now I created the a webserver (also main storage), with UID active etc moved the files to the /www/client directory got it working on that server.

I added 3 Containers installed them all the same and made them mirror of the web storage server.
    However the VPS webs don't have access to files below /www/clientID

root@web1:/data/www# ls -al client2/
    ls: cannot access client2/web31: Operation not permitted
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 41 Dec 9 17:41 .
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 65 Dec 9 17:49 ..
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Dec 9 17:41 label-engine.com -> /data/www/client2/web31/
    ?????????? ? ? ? ? ? web31

Neither does the OpenVZ Node have access to the files.
    Anything ISPconfig creates for the websites seem to be inaccessible.

I'm guessing it has something to do with SuExec or some other Permissions.
    I have not changed any of the permissions as in theory the current are enough.

Only thing I have changed is the /var/www to be /data/www

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You ca try to disable the folder protection feature in ispconfig under System > server config > web, maybe glusterfs does not support filesystem attributes correctly.

5. FalkoL

FalkoL New Member

Hello Tim,

I took off the checkmark from Make web folders immutable (extended attributes) on the StorageWeb server.
    Is there a script or way to set the permissions again?
    Or should I check Set folder permissions on update

Really appreciate your help.

6. FalkoL

FalkoL New Member