ISPConfig 3 localhost website/subdomains

Discussion in 'General' started by aaron.w.ball, May 14, 2009.

1. aaron.w.ball

aaron.w.ball New Member

Hello all,

I'm new to howtoforge and I must say, I'm very impressed with how organized this place is given the amount of information here. Great job guys!

Now, on to my question. I am currently setting up a webserver (from Falko's ultimate fedora 10 webserver with ispconfig 3 tutorial...Thanks alot by the way) and am having quite the predicament.
    This web server is for an independant study I'm doing on Linux web hosting. It also has the side use of providing a way for a certain professor at my college to teach PHP (right now he's teaching cold fusion and wants to switch to PHP since it's much more widely used). The way I have it planned to be set up is for each student to be a 'client'. Each 'client' has one or two subdomains of localhost that they can use to practice their php code.

The problem here is that I can't figure out how to get ispconfig to set up a domain for localhost itself. When I go to create a website with a domain of localhost, it says that the domain is not valid. I know it's looking for a .<extension>. Is there a way to do what I want?
    Unless I don't understand how ispconfig works, I think what I need is just to be able to set up a main website of localhost and create a lot of subdomains of localhost for each student. Is this correct and if so, is there a way I can do this?

To add a bit more detail here, I don't actually want to purchase any domains. This is only local and won't even be accessible from the outside. It's solely an internal practice location for the students, hence the need for localhost subdomains.

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It does not make much sense to setup localhost as a domain as nobody from your network will be able to access it except users that are working directly on the server.

If you need internal domains to access your sites, then you can "create" and use your own tld, e.g. ".int" for internal and then create websites for your clients in the fom of abc.int, or client1.int etc.

To access these domains, either add the .int zone to the dns server in your local network or add them into the hosts files of the computers that shall access the sites.

3. aaron.w.ball

aaron.w.ball New Member

Thanks alot for your suggestion. I'll try that when I get home from work today.

Yeah, I understand what you mean by making localhost a domain. That was my fault for lack of clarification. What I was hoping for was to be able to get to http://subdomain.servername. In that case the domain would be the hostname itself.

Once again, thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you guys know how it worked.

4. aaron.w.ball

aaron.w.ball New Member

Hello again,

As is evident, I'm new to all of this web hosting stuff (hence the independant study). I did some research into it but failed to find what I needed.

Would it be possible for me to get a bit more detailed an answer by chance?
    Once again (since I so poorly specified last time), I'd like each user to be able to go to something like http://username.servername and be able to view their site. What do i need to do within ispconfig to accomplish this? It seems not many people are trying this.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Aaron

5. till

Please do what I described in #2. Use an internal domain like yoursite.int or username.yoursite.int.

6. Zandooy

Zandooy New Member

What I did

I had a problem accessing domains from within my LAN so I think this solution might help you. When I would enter a domain that was configured in ISPConfig into my browser I was always directed back to my router's settings page like I was entering 192.168.1.1 to configure my router. So what I had to do was utilize a feature of my westell router called "DNS Server". I was able to enter a domain name and attach an internal IP address to it. Now whenever I enter a domain name in the list I created in my router, I am redirected to my server within the LAN like it was a server on the internet.

Hope this helps,
    Zandooy

7. carsato

carsato New Member

own tld in ISPConfig

I'm interested on create my own tld . When I try to create a new site example.mytld ISPConfig give an error like "wrong tld".

Could you say something on how to do it.

Thank you

8. Toucan

Toucan Member

I have no problem adding example.mytld

Once you've added it I would add an entry in your pc's host file so the browser knows how to resolve this new domain

9. carsato

carsato New Member

I can't in the Virtual Private Server RPS from OVH.

I'm trying to ad the new and alternative tld for opensource .42 ( https://www.42registry.org/ )

10. Toucan

Toucan Member

I see.

Maybe this should be added to the bug tracker to allow the .42 domains?

11. till

Has anyone a link that shows that .42 is a valid domain name according to the RFC? As far as I know, domain names may not end with a number to ensure that they can not be mixed up with IP addresses.

Or can you tell me if 23.4.1.42 is a IP address or a subdomain of the .42 toplevel domain?

12. carsato

carsato New Member

Could you sendme the link to the bugtracker.

By the way, thank you for the help and your answers.

13. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff