ISPConfig 3 - mirrored to second hostname server.

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Harvey Sharman, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Hi all and @till (Apologies to be a pain).

I now successfully got this mail server working perfectly on 1 public static IP address with its hostname and domain all resolving ok.

I am building up a another server with same ISPConfig on Debian 8 installation. What would like to know is, can I mirror the whole primary master server to this secondary slave server that I am building up. It is all only purpose for a mail server and no DNS, web or databases. There is nothing on it so it is starting from scratch, no users or emails as just making sure this will run ok before I start to host my customers emails.

When I look in System> Server, there is a section called 'Is a mirror of server' but no option to add a slave or backup server. Just like others say, if my system board fails or PSU goes bang, the secondary slave server can still run a mail server. I do have 16 public IP addresses available and I use 4 Draytek 2830 routers.

I know when I did an installation, it did ask me to setup a 'Multiserver' but said no because only working on 1 server at the time but not sure if I can add a "redundancy" server at a later date once I have installed/built the second server.

Thank you
    Harvey

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can use your current server as master server for a multiserver setup. Especially mail is easy as yo dont require a mysql replication then.

1) Add another mysql root user on the master server that is allowed to connect from the IP and hostname of the second server.
    2) During ispconfig setup on the second server, choose expert installation mode. Answer the question if this server shall join another server with yes and enter the details of the mysql root user that you added in 1) when requested. Choose to not install a ispconfig interface when the installer asks as this server is managed by the master.
    3) The second server should show up in the server list on the master, edit the server under System > server services and choose that it is a mirror of server 1.
    4) Go to Tools > Resync in ispconfig, select all email options and run the resync.
    5) The final step is to setup a sync of the /var/vmail directory between both servers, e.g. with unison.

Tomislav Aurednik likes this.
  3. Yes of course thank you appreciated @till, will try this once I have built the second Debian server.

Anyway, the master Debian mail server is all working great. All webmail works and POP/IMAP all through SSL ports. No errors.

Harvey :)

4. DantePasquale

DantePasquale Member HowtoForge Supporter

How do I accomplish step 1? I have to temporarily move off my own server as my ISP is going away and new one won't install for at least 2 weeks after the old is gone. Could this a be a good way to move to Linode temporarily?

5. Might be too late, how do you mean 'my ISP is going away'. Is this your broadband provider you mean or do you use 3rd party email provider? May be wise to backup all email accounts or the whole ISPConfig and IMAP them to another email provider/Linode until you have your own server then you can do the export to a PST file locally from Linode.

I would assume this is the mysql Linux command. Instructions> http://www.liquidweb.com/kb/create-a-mysql-user-on-linux-via-command-line/

Harvey Sharman[/QUOTE]

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  6. DantePasquale

DantePasquale Member HowtoForge Supporter

No, not too late -- I have until June 3 and it *is* my internet provider. Appearently AT&T is shutting down the CO I'm connected to so I'm loosing my ISP. Funny thing is, AT&T won't give my internet for 2-3 weeks after it's shutdown. Makes no sense to me :)

I'm actually thinking if mirroring to linode as a backup anyway (I only host my own sites) and just putting stub pages for the websites, but don't want to have a gap in emails.

7. @till
    Soz to be a pain. Just quick question, as my master server has been working great for mail server only with 4 domain email accounts with about 30 email addresses all with trusted SSL certificate for Dovecot/Postfix and Interface, I believe is it too late to hook up a second server as a redundancy server or backup server just in case my master server dies?

Also do I hostname.domain the secondry mail server the same hostname as master mail server? I assume the second server can be hostname002.domain.ltd and master is hostname001.domain.ltd or does both have to be hostname001.domain.ltd.

Harvey Sharman

8. till

You can still setup mirroring afterwards, especially when it is a mail server only as such a mirror does not require mysql mirroring. So you just need file based mirroring for /var/vmail (or you can use dovecot dsync for that) and set the second server to be the mirror of the first one in ISPConfig. You will have to run tools > resync in ispconfig after you added the mirror.

The hostnames of the two servers have to be different.

9. Thank you that is great. Really appreciated.

Harvey

10. @till

Would you recommend or advise to have the second server on a separate public/static IP address. I have a range of 16 public IP addresses and my master mail working server is on one of the those IP addresses and not sure if ISPConfig can mirror on same public IP or on another public IP.

Harvey

11. till

I would use another public IP.