ISPConfig 3 - Newbie questions

Discussion in 'General' started by customhost, Nov 21, 2010.

1. customhost

customhost New Member

Hi all,

first of all I'd like to thank you very much for developing such a great piece of open source software!

I installed everything according to this tutorial which worked out seemlessly: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-lenny-ispconfig3

Even though I did purchase the manual and ISPConfig 3.0.3 is up and running without any issues, there are still some open questions which even the manual cannot answer:

1. Due to I'm migrating from a Confixx installation and used to have some email templates within Confixx which I could set up and which sent out the account details automatically to the customer, I wondered whether this possibility also exists in ISPConfig 3?
    2. I'm using the recommended myDNS service as a DNS server. Due to my emails are tagged as Junk at Gmail etc, I would like to know whether there is any possibility of automatically setting up a SPF DNS record when a domain is created?
    3. I have different quotas per customer - one of them is the so called "Web Quota". I got this one on the client account level and on the client domain level. I tried setting up a test account with just the "Web Quota" for the client account set to 10 MB and the "Web Quota" for the client's domain to "-1" (which equals to unlimited, according to the manual). What I thought should happen is that if no specific domain quota is set, the "global" client account quota limits the maximum space. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case as I can upload unlimited data with just the client quota set and the domain quota set to "-1". As soon as I set the domain quota, the domain quota limit works as expected (whereas the account quota limit is still ignored). Is this the normal behavior or can I configure this to work out the way I described it?

The actual problem with the quota is that when I assign 5 GB of web space to a reseller account, he can actually upload more than 5 GB of data as long as he doesn't set any specific quota on the domain level, or am I wrong here?
    4. For the webmail and phpMyAdmin links, I can see that the corresponding mailbox / database ID is send to a script which then opens up the corresponding service in a new window. I just wondered whether I should actually be logged in automatically into Webmail and phpMyAdmin? Just asking because I still need to enter the login credentials to the mailbox / database manually ...
    5. This might be a webmail issue which is not really related to ISPConfig itself: I'm using Roundcube webmail without any problems. I just asked myself whether there is any possibility of tagging email messages as SPAM so that SpamAssassin can learn from them? At the moment, a lot of Junk gets through the mail filter so that there is really a need to train it ...
    6. Is there any official end user and/or reseller documentation (preferably in German) available for ISPConfig 3 which I could send to my customers?

I would be more than grateful if somebody could please take the time and answer (at least some of) my questions! :)

Cheers,
    Eric

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  2. customhost

customhost New Member

Question #5 solved

Hi all,

as expected, question #5 regarding the webmail Junk training was not an issue of ISPConfig itself and is fixed now. The plugin for Roundcube webmail is called "MarkAsJunk2" and can be obtained here: http://www.tehinterweb.co.uk/roundcube/#pimarkasjunk2

Cheers,
    Eric

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) No.
    2) No.
    3) The quota in the client settings limits the quotas for the websites that can be created by the clients. I guess you created the website as admin which deactivates the quota checking for the site, otherwise you would not have been able to set a quota for the website which is larger then the client quota.
    4) Thats not possible as it qould require to store passwords in claertext which would be very insecure.
    6) Thats not available yet. We are working on a light version of the manual that can be licensed by providers to give it away to their customers.

4. customhost

customhost New Member

Hi Till,

thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions even on a sunday morning ;)

Refering to your answers:

1) Is there really no way of automatically sending the account details to the created customer? Do I really need to send them out manually? I don't think that all the other people using ISPConfig 3 really do it this way, do they? Maybe there's any plugin for ISPConfig 3 capable of managing this automatism?

2) Would this be possible with BIND or is this no question of the utilized DNS server but a question of ISPConfig itself?

3) Thank you very much for this helpful answer! That indeed makes sense!

4) Ok. May I ask why the corresponding database / email account ID is send to a separate script then at all? Is there any magic behind this?

6) Thanks in advance! Looking forward to it!

Thank you very much in advance for answering my questions again.

Cheers,
    Eric

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

It doesn't matter which DNS server (MyDNS or BIND) you use.
    If you use the DNS Wizard to create a zone, you can change the DNS template and include an SPF record in it so that an SPF record is created automatically when you use the DNS Wizard.

6. customhost

customhost New Member

Hi Falko,

thank you for your reply. Can I tell the DNS manager to automatically created a zone for every domain created?

Cheers,
    Eric

7. falko

No, that's not possible.

8. customhost

customhost New Member

Hi Falko,

Thank you once again for your reply. Will this be possible in the future or is this no planned feature?

Cheers,
    Eric

9. falko

To be honest, I'm not sure if it's planned.

10. kostas1972

kostas1972 New Member

Hi... i am new in the forum and in ispconfig3..

it is really a very good piece of software...

i face the same problem as the user(see qoute)...
    and i am almost sure that is bug(?)
    lets explain a little more this issue:

A- i created a test-resseller and set all limits to reseller:
    1 dns
    1mailbox
    1 ftp
    1mb traffic
    1mb disk qouta
    1client
    .. etc

B- logged in as the test-reseller and
    created a test-cliend.. BUT I FORGOT to add LIMITS... all limits are the default (-1)
    !!!!

C- logged in as the test-client
    i created..
    1 ftp..ok tried a 2nd -> got warning .. as expected reseller limit applies to his clients!
    1 site..ok tried a 2nd -> got warning .. as expected!
    1 email..ok tried a 2nd -> got warning .. as expected!
    etc....

NOW THE BUG IS HERE:
    the client can give to the site as much disk and traffic wants even unlimited... and save site's configuration.. no warning-no-error
    he can add any amount of disk and traffic quota!
    When tried to upload to to the test-client's site(as the test-client) i found no limit..
    he can upload as many MB as he wants... no matter if the test-reseller has a limit of only 1MB..

these happens only for traffic and disk quotas...
    all other limits of the test-reseller applies to the test-client...

please confirm this and give me a possible solution?
    thanks!

edit: sorry forgot to mention that this is ispconfig 3.0.3.2
    ubuntu10.10-perfect-server-setup ... clean install-no errors !

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  11. kostas1972

kostas1972 New Member

any ideas?

12. ivomendonca

ivomendonca Banned

Are just imagination, that is all working as intended.

Yes.
    Ispconfig works very well, you are just not seeing the big picture.
    That "logic" that is "missing" for some guys is this forum, for the reseller part or some other parts like e-mail, statistics, backups.

Are just imagination, that is all working as intended.
    Is free, simple math.

"thanks to jesus that make me an atheist"

13. till

Thats not intended of course as you should receive a warning like you received it for the other values. Please make a bugreport in the bugtracker and we will check that.

@ivomendoca: Dont you think it's time to stop such nonsense posts...

14. ivomendonca

ivomendonca Banned

I tried to delete my account, but is not possible, imagine that.

lol
    Sorry till, i did not say nothing offencive.
    Just giving my opinion, is a free forum.
    I dont have to use ispconfig, and you dont have to read my posts.
    I like to warn others to not think that ispconfig does really work beside the basic functions.
    If you can say germany dont have ipv6, i can say im santa litle helper.

15. till

Just send us a message trough the contact form and we will delete your account.

I havent said that you were offensive. I just said that you posted nonsense.

If users ask for help here in the forum and you post nonsense answers instead of helping them, I will come across your posts while I try to give them a helpful answer to solve their problem.

Thats your personal opinion and I dont have any problem with that. I know a lot of poeple and hosting companys which dont share your opinion.

I can send you the hotline numbers from the Internet access providers in northern germany if you dont believe me that they dont offer any native ipv6 connections yet. Feel free to call them to find it out yourself. I just tried to find a provider a few days but none of them offers native ipv6 here.

16. till